Looking to upgrade my system, whats the besit I can do?

lupo

Weaksauce
I'm looking to upgrade my system, whats the be it I can do?
Here is what I currently have in my NAS box. I am only looking to upgrade the processor and perhaps ram. Here is what I am currently running:

Mainboard : Asus P5N-D
Chipset : nVidia nForce 750i SLI SPP
Processor : Intel Pentium E5500 @ 2800MHz
Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )
Hard Disk : HPT DISK 0_0 SCSI Disk Device (6001GB)
Hard Disk : Western Digital WD32 00AAJS-22L7A SCSI Disk Device (320GB)

Processor : Intel Pentium E5500
Frequency : 2800MHz - (current : 2799.90MHz)
Number of Core : 2
Support : Socket 775 LGA
Cache L1 : 2 x 64KB
Cache L2 : 2048KB
Voltage VID : 1.275 V

Are there any significant upgrades I can make for this system or is it pretty at the mac for the motherboard already installed? Again. I only looking for a Impel processor and/or ram speed upgrade.

Thanks!

Last edited:
you could drop an E8xxx wolfdale in there for better dual perormance, maybe a Qxxxx series for quad action...

And if you decide you want to upgrade the board, let me know. I have the exact same board and mine is fried and I'd like to drop in the exact board so I don't have driver issues, etc. ;) I had an e8400 running on mine which was fairly nice and good speeds for that old of a system and you couldn't beat the price. Bought the mobo for 75 bux from newegg refurb and got the processor for like 170 or something stupid and that was shortly after its release.

edit: My bad. I was running the Xeon e3110 which is the "server" version of the e8400. Same specs though and it was cheaper than the e8400 at the time.

I would get an AMD setup :p

but if you are just running it for a NAS why do you need to upgrade?

Last edited:
not worth upgrading in a nas box. is there something about it that currently isnt fast enough for you?

Back