• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to upgrade my SFF system...thoughts?

Joined
Mar 31, 2007
Messages
626
Greetings folks!

It's been about 2 years now and I'd like to spice up my SFF rig a little. My most recent addition was WD Raptor drive, which I've found to be a great purchase. I'd like to upgrade my CPU and Video Card now. My 8800GTS KO has served me well, but I'd like to be a bit more prepared for some upcoming games. My dual-core has also done a stellar job, but I'd like to move up to a quad-core.

I'm thinking of picking up a BFG GTX260 MaxCore and an Intel Q9550 @ 2.83ghz. Good choices for the system in my sig? I will replace the Mobo and Ram a bit later.

Thanks for the help!
 
If this is gaming rig which it seems it is. I don't see reason to upgrade anything else other than graphics card IF you need it that is. You won't really see difference by going Quad unless it is optimized for it, 4GB is good enough for RAM and your mobo is good for MATX too. I would swap out Mobo if you are going crossfire with DFI mobo but other than that, I would just stick with what you got. It looks like only thing that will make any noticeble difference is graphics card for you.
 
Thanks for the reply. And yes, this is a gaming build. The Q6600 is holding up just fine so I'll take your advice and hold onto it. I'm hoping teh video card will make the difference. I've been waiting for some time now to upgrade.
 
Yeah with the quad core you may notice a difference in that multitasking will be a lot better (I noticed taht), but gaming will be the same old same old, since no games I am aware of (although they may be out there) support multithreading anyway. If you want to upgrade CPUs, instead I'd get an E8500 or E8600 or something and OC it.
 
Back
Top