• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to upgrade my file server

DermicSavage

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 8, 2004
Messages
1,107
I have a box at home that I have thrown random hard drives into. I just did a simple span via window's dynamic disk cause I was too cheap to get a raid card.

Now I wanna get this thing set up right with new hard drives and a proper raid card. I've been looking at buying three or four SATA drives and putting a RAID 5 on them.

Any suggestions toward a cheap SATA raid card? I'm not looking for any dazzling performance since it is all limited to a 100mbit network :\

EDIT: was looking at newegg and really only see two options
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816115030
and
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16816102080

There any other selection out there aside from those?
 
what's the motherboard you are currently using? if i only has PCI, not PCI-X, slots the bandwidth of the bus will be limited...
 
It's only got regular PCI slots. It I forget the model exactly since I'm at work, but it was a Gigabyte mobo with the VIA apollo pro chipset.
Dual P3 mobo for the home user I take it to be.

As mentioned before, I dont think the limited bandwidth will bother me too much considering that it is no more than a NAS now a days
 
Since you're not looking for a performance setup, what precisely is wrong with a software RAID solution?
Windows server operating systems, and linux/BSD will do RAID-5 in software.

BTW, neither of those cards linked are PCI-X, so, that's not a concern
 
Been talking with co-worker on the network side and he mentions that in the case of a disk failure on a windows RAID, there is a chance that the volume information for the entire volume could be lost(in relative thought, I suppose this wouldnt be an impact if the server doesnt go down).

I suppose that isnt such a big deal if it isnt considered much at all. I suppose I can just fiddle with the windows raid in that sense.
 
I would strongly suggest that you look into an 8-port card rather than a 4-port. 4 drives isn't much room for expansion, and the 8-port cards are generally not a lot more than the equivalent 4-port cards. In this post I attempted to detail the recommended cards on the market and their strong and weak points.
 
Wouldnt an 8 port card on a PCI slot just kill the thing? would it even work?

Also, I have an option of just using one of my old mobos with 8 SATA ports on it and use the windows raid. Are the risks with it bad enough to justify a raid card?
 
An 8 port software raid card like a Highpoint 2220 (~$250) wouldn't be a bad investment. It'd let you expand the array - buy 4 or 5 disks now, and expand later when they're cheap. Windows software raid doesn't do that. WSR is also pretty darn slow, from what I hear - like, 100 mbit ethernet is no longer the bottleneck slow.

I wouldn't call WSR risky. It works - but it's dog-slow and I haven't got any experience with it myself.
 
With all the features, yes. At full speed, no. You'll be limited to ~120MB/s, unless you've got other bandwidth-intensive stuff on the PCI bus. In which case, somewhat slower. But it should be plenty for media storage and such.
 
Back
Top