Looking to upgrade from my Galaxy Nexus

mrkazador

Limp Gawd
I've had my Nexus I9250 for about 2.5 years now and I think its time for an upgrade. I'm using tmobiles prepaid plan so I need an unlocked/no contract phone. I thought about the oneplus one but trying to get an invite plus the bad customer service is not sitting well with me.

Anything around the $300-350 range that I should be looking at? I don't play any games on the phone or even listen to music but I do LOTS of web surfing and google maps.

OnePlus One or Moto X. Though the Moto X is $400 right not, it goes on sale every other month or so for $300-$350. Nexus 5 is still available from Google for $350/$400 for 16/32 GB, but there's several on Swappa for under $300 even for 32 GBs if you need it.

I wouldn't get the OPO (it doesn't contain Band 2 LTE that t-mobile is partly using for their 2G->LTE rollout)

how important is wifi calling / band 12 LTE? probably not, since you have only 100 minutes to use

I'd say ZTE Zmax if you want a cheap phablet, Galaxy Avant for band-12/WiFi/VoLTE support

otherwise, Moto G LTE or Nexus 5, Moto X for that price.

if you can stretch your budget, I'd say the z3 compact will be really good long term @ around $450-$500 (except that it doesn't have wifi calling or band 12)

I very rarely talk on the phone and I don't know what band 12 lte is so... not important? I could go as high as $400 but thats already pushing it. I'd also like to buy new.

I very rarely talk on the phone and I don't know what band 12 lte is so... not important? I could go as high as $400 but thats already pushing it. I'd also like to buy new.

t-mobile's LTE spectrum is on 1700/2100 and 1900mhz, which does poor building penetration and coverage compared to lower spectrum (that verizon/at&t/sprint owns)

t-mobile recently bought some band 12 700mhz spectrum, which would make building penetration / coverage better

they own it for certain places, and can't use it yet in some due to channel 51 TV interference (eventually in 1-2 years, those channels will move somewhere and t-mobile can use them)

https://sites.google.com/site/cellularbinder/t-mobile-700a-spectrum

New Moto X (preferred) or a Nexus 5, I think. Even at $400, I'd prefer the Moto X for the newer hardware and higher build quality. The N5 is a fine phone, but it's a year old and the battery life isn't great (at least, not for me).

The moto x 2nd gen seems like the best phone for me.

Edit: just bought it with the $140 off $499 coupon code. Now I need a case...

Last edited:
Back