Looking to upgrade from a 4890..

heatthegreat

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 12, 2007
Messages
424
I've had this 4890 for about a year and some months now and I'm wondering what should I upgrade to. My friend just got 2 460's in SLI and he's raving about em...and that's fine, but Im not sure I want to pull the trigger on a multi gpu setup.. I've always been a single card guy. Anywho, since the 4890 came out, there are all these new cards on the shelves and I'm a little confused on what is better etc. With all these numbers like 5850, 6850, 6870, 460, 470, 480, 5870, 5970... what the heck is good now. I've always been one to want a somewhat high end card..( Like when the 4890 came out, I oc'd it to almost hit gtx 280 levels)but never the best because I felt it wouldnt be worth it. I have a E6750 dual core clocked at 3.5ghz and 4gb of ddr2 and a 750w Corsair ps and I game at 1920x1200. If I have to upgrade my cpu due to a bottleneck I will.

Thanks!

Btw, the 4890 still works great for all games, I just feel like getting something new.
 
If your only gaming at 1920x1200res, that's pretty easy to on hardware for gaming today. I have the ATI 5870 single card, and it powers my triple Dell 27" monitors at 5760x1200res rather smooth. This card also handled my 30" Apple Cinema Display easily at 2560x1600res gaming.

If you can wait until next month, I say look at the brand new ATI cards coming out around Thanksgiving, they should have nice improvements, and will be much faster. The 6950 will be the best bang for the buck for like $299, that card will be faster than my current 5870, and is plenty to handle 1920x1200res. If your an insane gamer with cash to blow, go for broke and get the highest end, fastest video card ever, this December = AMD's 6990, will cost like $600 though. It is the next generation of the 5890 dual GPU card.

If you need something today right this second, what about the 5850 ? That is a great deal for the performance, or the GTX-470 ? But then again nVidia has new cards due on shelves in Decmeber, the GTX-580. Right now is a bad time to buy, in just 4 - 6 weeks, next gen stuff is coming out. Either buy that for the best performance, or buy the current gen then, with nice discounts.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top