• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to upgrade for WoW

mavruss

n00b
Joined
Apr 14, 2010
Messages
19
So, Im coming from an E8400 4 gigs of ram, GTX470

Looking at going Sandy Bridge and Im torn.

Do I go with an I7 2600K with a 7200 RPM 3gb/sec HDD
OR
I5 2500K with 64 GB SDD HDD?

RAM will be 8Gigs..

Which will give more performance? I know wow is CPU and Memory intensive.
 
The second option, for sure. WoW only uses 1 thread (and a bit of a second thread), so the 2600K will give you no advantage over the 2500K.

SSD will make the game load faster, and run a lot quieter since you won't constantly hear the HDD needle seeking. You should go with either a Sandforce based SSD (like OCZ Vertex 2), Intel, or Crucial C300 series.
 
WoW will only use 2 Cores x1 for Main & x1 for Sound. 64GB SSD in my eyes just isnt enough. Ive been using a Samsung F3 500GB & it loads WoW textures quick without any stutter.

If your dead set on SB id say i5 2500K with a samsung f3 500 or 1tb (obviously an SSD is going to be the fastest option here)
 
Last edited:
thanks guys.

Im planning on playing other games like crysis and crysis 2. WoW is the game I play 90% of the time though.

Let me ask this then. Would it even be worth me getting the K series for OCing? I never had great luck with OCing anything. I usually get an after market air cooler and some grease. Like my 8400, I got to only 3.3GHZ.
 
thanks guys.

Im planning on playing other games like crysis and crysis 2. WoW is the game I play 90% of the time though.

Let me ask this then. Would it even be worth me getting the K series for OCing? I never had great luck with OCing anything. I usually get an after market air cooler and some grease. Like my 8400, I got to only 3.3GHZ.

Just throw on a cheap Cooler Master Hyper 212+ and you're set. You want to make sure to get a P67 board though.
 
Just keep in mind that over time your WoW folder can get enormous... Install it from the website rather than the disc. Otherwise the game is going to install what you have on the disc, then download a bunch of patches and install them one by one too, and it's going to keep all these patches in your WoW folder.

I only bring this up because an SSD is already very space limited, and I've seen my WoW folder inflate to 27GB before. An SSD is perfect for this game though. It will help your load times immensely.
 
A couple things:

Remember to update the firmware on the SSD (currently rev. 006), plug it in a low number 6 port, and change the bios as needed. Download iometer, and make sure it's giving you the speed you paid for.

You'll find the load screens shorter, but also loading large numbers of players will be pretty much instant, even in Org.

Get that 2500 Oc'd a bit, and I bet you will be very pleased with your performance upgrade.
 
Just keep in mind that over time your WoW folder can get enormous... Install it from the website rather than the disc. Otherwise the game is going to install what you have on the disc, then download a bunch of patches and install them one by one too, and it's going to keep all these patches in your WoW folder.

I only bring this up because an SSD is already very space limited, and I've seen my WoW folder inflate to 27GB before. An SSD is perfect for this game though. It will help your load times immensely.

This times a million. Go to your account page and you should be able to see how to download it from there. You just download an installer and it'll get the game and each expansion that you bought for that account. Incredibly easy and well worth it.
 
So you guys think that it would be quicker do download the installer and download the game rather than running the install from the disks?
 
Last edited:
Also, do you guys think 4 gigs of ram is enough? I just realized I wanted to do 8 gig but only ordered 4.
 
A couple things:

Remember to update the firmware on the SSD (currently rev. 006), plug it in a low number 6 port, and change the bios as needed. Download iometer, and make sure it's giving you the speed you paid for.

You'll find the load screens shorter, but also loading large numbers of players will be pretty much instant, even in Org.

Get that 2500 Oc'd a bit, and I bet you will be very pleased with your performance upgrade.

What do you mean plug it in a low number 6 port?
Do you mean the first availible sata 6/gb sec port?
 
Some very good info in this thread. I just installed my first ssd this weekend (64 gb Crucial C300). With the OS and WoW installed I have just over 21 gigs of free space left on the ssd. I installed from the disc, as mentioned earlier in this thread ill probably reinstall it from the website instead. Load times are faster but its not as pronounced as i thought it would be. I also play with very few addons. Don't be in a hurry to update the firmware on that c300 as many people are having problems with it on the crucial website. I did upgrade mine and dont seem to be having any problems so far.
 
So you guys think that it would be quicker do download the installer and download the game rather than running the install from the disks?

Yes absolutely. The discs will take forever to install and update and the final installation will be much larger vs. just downloading the installer and letting it do its' thing.
 
Talk about not doing your research.
I just found out about UEFI. Looks like my new board doesnt support it. Oh well.

I refuse to buy ASUS anyway. I have been burned too many times by their boards in the past.

Hopefully the WoW install doesnt take hours. I would like to play that night LOL
 
Back
Top