Looking to replace my farm

jljenkins28

Limp Gawd
Ok, life goes on. On Christmas eve, I lost most of my farm due to having 12 inches of water in my house. But being as I have flood insurance, most of it should be covered. And since it is, I'm looking to replace it with something a little more state of the art. I've
seen a lot of mention lately of the -bigadv capable machines and I have a question. Would I be able to build a machine running a Core i7 940 processor to take advantage of the -bigadv wu's as well as running 3 GPU clients?

If so, how much memory would I need and what size power supply?

Core i7 940 would run very nicely. Pick out your favorite X58 motherboard that can fit 3x double slot cooler cards properly, add 12GB of DDR3 (either 1600 or 2000), and a 1000W PSU and you'll be stylin'. :cool:

Edit: you are essentially looking at building the same setup as I am building right now except I am going with an i7 920 and overclocking it.

If its for folding only you can get the 930 (2.8ghz) that is due out the end of feb, the P6T motherboard, coolermaster 212plusheatsink and 6gb ram on a native linux installation.

Possible to build 2 boxes?

My post from the budget bigadv thread

ASRock x58 Extreme open box $118
MC i7 920 B&M $199.99
OCZ DDR3 3x2 1600 kit $149-$30 MIR
Cogage TRUE Spirit $34.99

Get a cheap HD or USB drive for *nix and a decent psu if you don't already have one.

Reason I'd go with the TRUE Spirit over the cheaper CM Hyper 212+ is because the TRUE Spirit will have lower load temps than the Hyper 212 especially after you OC.

That's similar to what I'm ending up with...bought the open box ASRock, bought the U12P SE2 used (no fans $29), bought 1 6gb kit of ram used for $100 and bought the other at ZZF, and just got back from picking up my 920 @ MC in Brentwood. :)

I would not bother with a 940 when a 920 will hit a similar oc ceiling (either volts or temps).
I'm still working on my 920 oc but it easily hit 3.6 on stock volts, prime95 stable. (d0 of course)
If you're doing a VM (instead of a full *nix install) you will probably need 12gb of ram instead of 6gb because the -bigadv WU's take (reportedly) 4.4-4.5gb of ram by themselves, not counting os overhead.
PSU wise I'd take a Corsair, depending on your gpu(s) and if you run clients on those, you could get away with an hx520 or go as high as an hx850 or more.

z2d's config is exactly the same as mine except for the cooler, I have a Corsair H50 I will be using. :)

Would I have to overclock the 940 any to meet bonus deadlines?

No.
At stock speeds, you'd prob looking at ~17k PpD.
Get it to near 4Ghz and you're prob looking at ~24k PpD.

Luck ....... :D

Back