looking to replace my 37" Westy...

Imaulle

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 13, 2006
Messages
1,213
What are the top recommendations? I'd like a good brand.. I was thinking one of the new 32" Samsungs or something?

I'm running 2x GTX 460...


Thanks!
 
:cool:

funny.. it seems a bunch of us Westy 37 d00ds..are coming to this same moment in time..and need..

the dying Westy 37's...with the smudge and or blobs in the substrates, etc.. dying.. needing to be replaced.

just built a rockin oc 2600k system..and I too need to replace the old westy...
the trick..now that Im used to the large display.. hard to decide what to do..

30"s ( u3011 ) seem to be uber..and I think after much gnashing of teeth and obsessive forum reading.. thats where Im going..

but

Its tempting to just scale to a 32" lcd tv... actually lots of threads on here already same deal..
check these:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1645885

and this
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1666937

and more

Again, I think after originally thinking 32 tv... 1080p..maintians the same level of GPU stress, or lack of stress..

or uber u3011...

Im going to go u3011...
 
I had the Westy for 4 years, its one of the best computer monitors ever made IMO. They don't make a TV that your going to be happy with, the Westy was a special case, no other TV's look like it. It had flawless desktop and text rendering considering its Pixel Pitch, other TV's will not look nearly as good in this respect.

After going through like 10 monitors/tv's trying to find something I liked as much as my Westy, I ended up with a 27" Apple Cinema Display. I like it for different reasons than the westy, especially the insane resolution, but its the only one i've liked as much if not more.
 
I just replaced my Westy with a 37LK450; mine was starting to exhibit the random power-off issue. So far, its merely OK, given that I am still using an HDMI-to-HDMI connection and thus not getting 4:4:4 yet. It took a lot of tweaking but I was terribly disappointed by the out of the box experience, and I still haven't taken the wrap off and thrown away the packing material of the 37LK450. With a large amount of tweaking, it is acceptable, I guess. I should have the DVI-to-HDMI cable/adapters tomorrow and that will tell the tale.

The Westy was such a fantastic product and its a shame it wasn't built to last. I got mine in Jan 06 and although I had a few LCDs before it, it is the first one I have had start to fail. I spent a long time looking for something that was at least similar. I was hoping to improve upon it when I upgraded but short of the 3x27 120Hz setup in the other thread here, I haven't seen anything that has come close and the powering off issue is finally forcing my hand.
 
Last edited:
They don't make a TV that your going to be happy with, the Westy was a special case, no other TV's look like it.
There's a reason the Westy worked so well, it's because it was built to be a monitor first and foremost, and it's firmware was programmed for that function.

99.9% of TV's are handicapped because they are built, and their firmware is programmed, with TV use in mind ;)

I just replaced my Westy with a 37LK450; mine was starting to exhibit the random power-off issue. So far, its merely OK, given that I am still using an HDMI-to-HDMI connection and thus not getting 4:4:4 yet. It took a lot of tweaking but I was terribly disappointed by the out of the box experience, and I still haven't taken the wrap off and thrown away the packing material of the 37LK450. With a large amount of tweaking, it is acceptable, I guess. I should have the DVI-to-HDMI cable/adapters tomorrow and that will tell the tale.
Hoping you can post your 37LK450 results for us once you're done with the cable swap and tweaking. Going by the hundreds of posts i've read on that model, i would think it would be more than an incremental improvement. I do wonder how much of a difference the 32" size would have made for you, with it's smaller/tighter picture and all, too bad the 32" LG IPS panels are nearly impossible to find....


To the OP: you are more than welcome to join our discussion here if you'd like. Lots of people posted their thoughts and experiences there. And here is another thread that discusses using TV's as monitors, it focuses mostly on sharp text.

But don't rule out the suggestions in post #2 and post #3 either.
 
My Westy is still going strong, but I've had mine for almost 5 years now so I may be thinking of an upgrade soon. I was kicking around the idea of a Dell U3011, but that Samsung 750D is pretty amazing too and at half the price too.
 
Back
Top