Looking to redo inside cable wiring..

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Wonder if these tools are worth the money. I understand you could get tools that are probably cheaper that will "do the job" but being that I do a lot of my own work, not all tools are created equal even if they all are capable of getting the job done.

What I'm wondering is if their are tools better than this, for a cheaper price.

$102 - Paladin 4910 SealTite Pro Compression Cable TV "F" Kit wi th KT 8, LC CST, Flaring Tool, SealTite Pro and 10 RG6/RG6Q in Zipper Case

While I understand that, even if these are professional quality tools, that I am not a professional installer I still like the tools the professionals use. I apply the same thinking on automotive tools when I buy them too. I only like to buy tools once. ;)

So while I am about to redo a friends cable inside a house they rent, I intend to do my house eventually as well and no telling when I might do someone else's house.

Next I will be in the market to buying some RJ45 tools to terminate Ethernet cables, but I'm not worried about those just yet.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Wonder if these tools are worth the money. I understand you could get tools that are probably cheaper that will "do the job" but being that I do a lot of my own work, not all tools are created equal even if they all are capable of getting the job done.

What I'm wondering is if their are tools better than this, for a cheaper price.

$102 - Paladin 4910 SealTite Pro Compression Cable TV "F" Kit wi th KT 8, LC CST, Flaring Tool, SealTite Pro and 10 RG6/RG6Q in Zipper Case

While I understand that, even if these are professional quality tools, that I am not a professional installer I still like the tools the professionals use. I apply the same thinking on automotive tools when I buy them too. I only like to buy tools once. ;)

So while I am about to redo a friends cable inside a house they rent, I intend to do my house eventually as well and no telling when I might do someone else's house.

Next I will be in the market to buying some RJ45 tools to terminate Ethernet cables, but I'm not worried about those just yet.

Well, that is a good set of tools to have ... You can still do the same amount of good with a crimper found in a mechanics yard with rust all over it. Also, good tools aren't good if the operator fails.

With that said, I worked/still work for/between and ISP and a cable company. You are 100% right about doing it right the first time so there is no need to go back later for patching. One thing I always remember about starting with these companies is that proper tools are as proper as opinion in some cases unfortunately, but installs were done, and to this day still work without a problem.

The proper tools ... same way, no problems.

As long as you are informed about what you are doing and don't cut corners that don't HAVE to be cut, you shouldn't leave a reason for a patch job. In my case if someone decides to throw a TV or PC out of their top story window ... I just want to say that an improper install has a 100% guarantee of needed patching, if it were done correctly, maybe it could be lowered to 98%

The main thing is to be informed about what your doing, and do your work neatly and safely. You could run 1000 crappy jobs and blame them on termites, or great jobs and have anxiety ... confidence with get you the business every time.

I use an Ideal OmniSeal for co-ax compression fittings, but have had my eye on the Paladin tool for it's adjustability.
I use an Ideal Telemaster RJ45 crimper but am looking to replace it as it is getting worn after about 9 years.
I use a Fluke D914S punchdown tool which replaced an ideal. The Fluke has smoother action and cuts better than the Ideal equivalent. I use B.E.S. wiring tools (fish rods, telepole, bellhanger bits, accessories) and Bosch power tools.
Everything I use is massive overkill for home projects, intended for daily professional use. You can find tools that will do the job for light duty use much, much cheaper- I only recommend them as that is what you ask for.
Fluke is a recognized leader in anything they put their name on, Ideal's better stuff is pretty good. I use Klein's 12-in-1 Drivers and some of their pliers and cutters, which I am happy with. I buy tools with the intention of them lasting years in a tough work environment while being easy to use and making a task or tasks easier/faster/better quality.

Back