Looking to move to Vista 64-bit. What should I know before installing?

RavinDJ

Supreme [H]ardness
Looking to move to Vista 64-bit. What should I know before installing? I use Win XP Pro 32-bit right now. I have a lot of software that I would like to install on it, since it's for my main rig...

Examples:

Adobe Acrobat 8.0 Pro
Intuit QuickBooks 2007 Pro
Dreamweaver
Flash
Counter Strike Team Fortress (I just got hooked on it again)
Office 2007 Enterprise

Will all these things work in 64 bit? I'm still a n00bie when it comes to 64-bit vs 32-bit.

Thanks!

Download your drivers and keep them handy on a USB flash drive or so, and then have at it! Your listed programs should all work fine under Vista x64.

Thanks, guys! I'll keep you posted (not that many of you will care :p)

Very excited to go Vista 64!!!

Err #1 - don't put it on a USB flash drive. I loled at myself when upon getting into Vista, I realized that with no 64-bit chipset drivers - USB/LAN/etc. all were useless.

Fortunately, I backed up my drivers to another HD, but seriously. 5 years of building and I made a serious rookie mistake.

*one other thing. Driver signing in x64 is a major PITA. Paul Thurott spreads this rosy image of everything working in Vista with tons of driver support. It's frankly the opposite. Vista x64 support is VERY narrow, and driver signing eliminates what little is left of 3rd party support. If anything, to save yourself headaches, use peripherals/hardware that is only 1 year old. My trusty 3 year-old WLAN Hawking was made useless b/c of Vista's $$$ driver signing program.

It didn't install any generic usb drivers during install? Your usb keyboard/mouse (if applicable) didn't work?

I've always been able to utilize a usb drive to install all my drivers after a fresh install of Vista, both 32 and 64 bit.

It didn't install any generic usb drivers during install? Your usb keyboard/mouse (if applicable) didn't work?

I've always been able to utilize a usb drive to install all my drivers after a fresh install of Vista, both 32 and 64 bit.

Having done over a hundred vista installations (No, not all on my computer :rolleyes: ) I've never had a problem with vista not putting some generic USB drivers on for the recognition and usage of USB drives. Granted, many of these systems shared the same hardware configurations, however there really isn't any easier way to get SATA drivers which are required for OS installation on some hard drive controllers. I mean, I haven't put a floppy drive on my computer for years, and while I suppose one could use a burned CD for this, though a USB drive is a much quicker and simpler solution.

Besides this, if you're using some of the more recent Dell computers or systems without PS/2 ports, you're going to be royally screwed if Vista doesn't have some generic USB drivers to use. Press F1 to continue anyone?

While webcams have been a pain for me in vista64, just about everything else rocks!

Back