• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to get an SSD drive...

Siryak

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 16, 2008
Messages
270
Ok I am looking to finally make the jump to an SSD drive for my desktop. I am currently looking at the Crucial C300 128GB, OCZ Vertex 2 120GB, and the G.Skill Phoenix Pro 120GB. Which one would you guys go with? Also I am open to suggestions for alternatives to these as well.

I have a gigabyte P55A-UD3 board.
 
The OCZ & G.Skill listed there are very similar drives.. Get whichever one of those 2 you can get cheaper.. Right now I know there is a deal going on on newegg for the Vertex 2
 
How long is the warranty on the Vertex 2? I think that'd be my choice.

It is the same as the G.Skill. I went with the Vertex 2 and it should be here tomorrow. :D I just felt that the support forum was a little better with the Vertex 2. Originally I was sold on the C300. Then I started reading of too many issues with the Marvel controller, which is what I have. The Vertex 2 write speed didn't hinder the decision any either.
 
I went the opposite Siryak, funny enough, and got the G.Skill Phoenix Pro. Also should be here tomorrow :)
From what I can tell, it all boils down to the company you like better. I researched everything for more than a week, and after deciding that G.Skill memory has always been rock solid with every build I've used it in, decided to go with them.
 
I went the opposite Siryak, funny enough, and got the G.Skill Phoenix Pro. Also should be here tomorrow :)
From what I can tell, it all boils down to the company you like better. I researched everything for more than a week, and after deciding that G.Skill memory has always been rock solid with every build I've used it in, decided to go with them.

Yah I am guessing you won't go wrong either way. It looks to me like they are both the exact same hardware with a different cover. I have G.Skill RAM that has worked great for me, but like I say I don't think there is going to be a difference between the 2.
 
Installed and running today. A very noticeable improvement over my VR, but not a "OMG!!" improvement. Windows does load and shutdown much faster, and just general responsiveness is greatly improved. Installing MW2 to test out now, to see if any noticeable difference in a game.
 
Installed and running today. A very noticeable improvement over my VR, but not a "OMG!!" improvement. Windows does load and shutdown much faster, and just general responsiveness is greatly improved. Installing MW2 to test out now, to see if any noticeable difference in a game.

As I understand it, game load times will go way down, but in-game performance should remain the same. After a map has loaded, your CPU and GPU do all the work making things go bang and whatnot.
 
Back
Top