Looking to get a new heatsink for i7

mikecoscia

Limp Gawd
Currently have the Noctua, but not to happy with. Was thinking about trying a coolermaster v8 or the Ultra 120. What do you think?

Gotta say the scythe Mugen 2 is awesome. Before I realized HT needed to be turned off I was running successfully 4.0 GHZ 42 idle 80~81 load - I would get crashes in left 4 dead after a few hours of play..

Once I realized that I needed to turn off HT and the throttling, my temps are 43 idle 66 ish load @ 4.0 GHZ.

The fan on it a ultra quiet - so much so I am thinking of putting on a louder more CFM fan to see if I can lower temps cuz I am a dork.

the cons to it are - you need to remove your mobo and the metal cpu retainer (which you screw back on)- it's freaking huge - you can't put the fan ram side if you use ram with any sort of height (dominator for ex).

Well @ 3.8ghz w/1.35V Im around 44-46c idle and hit around 82c load (Prime95 and Linx). Normal gaming It never really goes over 60 however. I just don't understand by my idle temps are so high I have seen others with mid 30s even 20s at stock speeds. At stock speed I am around 36-40c. I tried reseating the heatsink multiple times, going to try lapping both the CPU and heatsink next. My thermal grease application is fine, nice super think layer. My ambient is around 21-25c.

So yah wanted to give another heatsink a try. However the Noctua is supposed to peform similar to the TRUE. Is my ambient the real root cause of my problem? What is the usual temp delta between ambient and CPU idle? Should I even bother trying another heatsink?

nah my idles are right with you - a lot of the folks with lower idles probably have speed step and or ce1 on. I don't think you can do any better than what you have now..without going water/

consider watercooling.

I have 4.0 GHz, and HT on and everything else like speedstep and thermal controls off.....
VCore at 1.4V and the CPU runs at 24C idle and rarely over 45 under full synthetic loads.....and my stuff isn't fancy.

You could buy a Corsair Nautilus 500 and a Swiftech GTZ for less than 200 dollars, be set up and running in 30 minutes.

From my experience and from what i have read - HT is kind of useless - and can impede performance for single threaded apps/games. But awesome temps non the less I am going to look up those parts ;)

From my experience and from what i have read - HT is kind of useless - and can impede performance for single threaded apps/games. But awesome temps non the less I am going to look up those parts ;)

I don't know if the HT helps, but it doesn't seem to hurt me any.
If you want my experience with the Nautilus, just ask.
Currently, I use a dual 120mm radiator and separate MCP 655 pump, but let me tell you; for the price, the Nautilus was a really great piece and very easy to set up.......I only sold it because I added more stuff to my loop.

Well @ 3.8ghz w/1.35V Im around 44-46c idle and hit around 82c load (Prime95 and Linx). Normal gaming It never really goes over 60 however. I just don't understand by my idle temps are so high I have seen others with mid 30s even 20s at stock speeds. At stock speed I am around 36-40c. I tried reseating the heatsink multiple times, going to try lapping both the CPU and heatsink next. My thermal grease application is fine, nice super think layer. My ambient is around 21-25c.

So yah wanted to give another heatsink a try. However the Noctua is supposed to peform similar to the TRUE. Is my ambient the real root cause of my problem? What is the usual temp delta between ambient and CPU idle? Should I even bother trying another heatsink?

I'm hoping you didn't mean super thick. TIM should be as thin as possible, but still providing coverage. Remember it is doing nothing more than filling spaces, that's it.

I'm hoping you didn't mean super thick. TIM should be as thin as possible, but still providing coverage. Remember it is doing nothing more than filling spaces, that's it.

Haha no that was supposed to be super thin, to early in the morning I guess for me...lol.

magoo,

Thanks for the suggestions. I sent an e-mail over to Danger Den asking for a list of parts needed for an i7 and 4870x2. Total cost for everything was like $350. Not to bad. Although the rad will no way fit in my case and will have to go ontop. For that I need to make some sort of riser so air can get under the thing.

I am happy with my 3.8ghz clock and don't really care if I can an extra 200mhz going water. As long as the chip is safe to be idling at the mid to high 40's, esp with the oncoming warmer months. While it would be nice to have a near silent pc, is it really worth the money to have lower idle and load temps than what I have now?

Back