Looking to get a new cable modem

Mikesta

2[H]4U
I recently switched from DSL to Cable internet this past week. Our current ISP is Northland Cable, we are rated at 6mbps down/1mbps up. I wanted to get a personal modem to replace the one we are currently renting from them to cut down on the monthly cost and possibly increase performance. Which are some of the recommended cable modems out these days? When it comes to modems I am quite clueless on all of the networking mojo, etc. I am pairing this up with a Netgear WNR3500L router (http://www.netgear.com/products/ser...gabit-ethernet-routers-gateways/WNR3500L.aspx). What are your recommendations? Price limit is around $50-ish. Cheaper is better, budget modems are accepted if they are stable without affecting performance/bandwith.

I had a Motorola Surfboard 5100 for years. Never gave me a lick of trouble.
Newegg has it for $51.56 + free shipping.
If your area is going to be getting DOCSIS 3.0 anytime soon consider the motorola SB6120. Though it's twice your budget so I can't reccomend it unless you have plans to get better then 28mbps internet service through the cable co. Otherwise the 5101 I've linked to should do a great job.

I've heard good things about the Surfboard 5100, but I just picked up the SB6120 a month ago when I switched back to cable from IPTV. It's pretty good, very stable, but the downside is that reboot/power cycling takes roughly 2 minutes. The "installer," take their opinion for what it's worth, said it was a good choice, especially for DOCSIS 3.0, and was a lot better than what they normally rent out. For your budget, consider the 5100 or spend a bit more and get the 6120 for sure. Eventually, I hope, they'll upgrade to DOCSIS 3.0 so think of it as "futureproof" I guess?

I had a Motorola Surfboard 5100 for years. Never gave me a lick of trouble.
Newegg has it for $51.56 + free shipping.
If your area is going to be getting DOCSIS 3.0 anytime soon consider the motorola SB6120. Though it's twice your budget so I can't reccomend it unless you have plans to get better then 28mbps internet service through the cable co. Otherwise the 5101 I've linked to should do a great job.

+1

I know your budget is $50 but I'd recommend the Motorola SURFboard 6120:
http://www.amazon.com/Motorola-SB6120-SURFboard-eXtreme-Broadband/dp/B001UI2FPE

Don't forget to use the [H]ardOCP Commissioned Buying Links to support the [H]

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Surfboard 5100 user since 2003, right about when it was first released. Never caused a bit of trouble. I've had to replace just about everything else in the network several times...routers, switches, etc. This thing just does not break. Unless you are going for something that actually needs DOCSIS3.0 you can't do any better than the 5100.

+1 5100

Had it practically since it was released and the only reason I gave mine away was to upgrade to, wait for it.... wait for it... the SB6120!

Just sold me on eBay about 2 weeks ago. Basically gave it away for $30 shipped.

You may also just give your provider a quick shout, and make sure that whichever modem you decide to go with is on their approved list. If not, you can have issues from not having proper support from the headend.

If you're going to be buying a new modem, buy a DOCSIS 3 modem. Otherwise hit eBay and buy a used/refurbed modem, like an Ambit/Ubee which should be $20 or less for a refurbed unit.

heh. I have a linksys cm100 sitting here gathering dust that I replaced with a docsis 3.0 modem not long ago (no d3 here yet, but rumor is its coming) so if you dont need a Docsis 3.0 modem shoot me a PM & i will get it to you cheap.

Back