Looking to get a new 24" or 26" monitor primarily for Gaming

g00mbs

n00b
Hey,

I've been poking around the forum trying to brush up on my display knowledge. Things are pretty confusing out there.

Basically I'm looking for a 24" or 26" monitor in the range of $400-$600 (lower cost is always nice). As it says in the title this will mostly be used for gaming but I would like to be able to photoshop, etc if needed. With the limited knowledge I have I would like something better than a TN panel.

From reading other posts, the BenQ FP241VW 24" has been suggested, but the overall design doesn't appeal to me. At the end of the day if this is the best bang for the buck than it really isn't that big of a deal, I would be willing to part with my cash to buy this, if it is a good as people are saying.

Is there anything else I should consider for a 24"? How about a 26"?

Thanks!

It's a love it or hate it design..
TN is not all that bad. If you are a hardcore gamer and response time matters to you, TN is actually an excellent solution and can save you some bucks, too. But as far as photoshop is concerned, TN might not fit you that well.

I just bought the Samsung 2493HM 24in LCD FLat Panel Monitor w/HDMI & DVI.

In route, so no first hand experience yet, but based on all the reviews it was why I bought it.

Maybe another one to through your mix.

I have the Samsung T220 22" TOC and it is pretty sweet. BTW for sale ;)

I bought a Planar PX2611W for the same purpose. IPS panel for excellent colors, very little to no screen lag (I dont have exact numbers but I do remember it rivals TNs), and 26 inches.

im getting the 24fw, although most would say its ugly, i looked on video.google.com and it proved to be pretty ok

besides that, its an amazing screen with nice colors and a decent response time

im getting the 24fw, although most would say its ugly, i looked on video.google.com and it proved to be pretty ok

besides that, its an amazing screen with nice colors and a decent response time

I'm not familiar with what the 24fw is and nothing came up with a little searching :confused:

I am also looking for 26" and I think I'm gonna grab one of these:
Samsung Touch of Color T260HD 26-Inch LCD HDTV Monitor
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Touch...dp/B001AYCNIW/ref=pe_17040_10458550_as_txt_1/

Product Features

* Screen Size - 25.5 wide
* Resolution - 1920 x 1200
* Brightness - 300 cd/m
* Contrast Ratio - Dynamic-Contrast 10,000 - 1 ( 1000 - 1)
* Response time - 5 ms

Special Features

* Display Area: 25.5"
* Contrast Ratio: 1000:1
* Resolution: 1920 x 1200
* Response Time: 5 ms
* Signal Compatibility: 1080p
* Input Video Signal: ATSC
* Speakers: Yes
* Inputs: Analog RGB
* Inputs: DVI
* Inputs: DVI-D
* Inputs: Separate H/V
* Inputs: Composite
* Inputs: 15 pin D-Sub
* Inputs: TV Tuner
* Inputs: HDMI In
* Inputs: Component
* Inputs: DTV
* Outputs: Optical
* Power Consumption: 70W
* Dimensions With Stand: 24.02" x 19.78" x 9.65"
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I recently bought a Sammy 52" LCD HDTV and it truly rocks...........

-

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
some people say those samsung's 265 inchers have a blue tint to them....

Over the last few days the FP241VW has grown on me. I'll take performance over looks.

Does the FP241VW come with a DVI cable?

To your surprise - it comes with all cables. VGA/Dsub/and even HDMI.
My FP241W has it all and i believe same to the FP241VW.
This sku is not available at Newegg but you can look at their spec sheet which indicates FP241VW comes with all cables.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824014133

Packaging
Package Contents FP241VW LCD Monitor
VGA Cable
DVI Cable
Power Cable
USB Cable
HDMI Cable

You should check out the Newegg deals. There has been some decent 24"+ monitors that have been up to $40 off plus an additional $50 with a promotion code and free shipping.

The deal for the FP241VW seems to be invalid now, even though their advertising says the sale ends 11/15. Does anyone else have this issue?

The deal for the FP241VW seems to be invalid now, even though their advertising says the sale ends 11/15. Does anyone else have this issue?

yes i ordered this monitor today. Although the two promos they were offering did not work. I found another one called THANKYOU10, which gives you 50 dollars off. The shipping in itself is 50 dollars though, so the total comes out to 500 instead of 550 :D. If you are interested, ill post a review next weekend of this screen.

What the heck! That sucks. Sale shouldn't end until 11/15. I'm going to call customer service on Monday to see what is going on.

What the heck! That sucks. Sale shouldn't end until 11/15. I'm going to call customer service on Monday to see what is going on.

BenQ customer service has a reputation for being very good/helpful. I would definitely call them about the discounts. I bought this monitor on Friday night and was able to use two discount codes for a total of $449 shipped.

I called customer service and this issue is now fixed :) Got the monitor with the original benq codes for $450 shipped to my door.

the coupon for the benq works now. or it did a few hours ago when i tried it.

honestly i would pay $100 more for this monitor to have a normal stand. the frame is seriously a deal breaker for me. i think. i have to think about it some more because it's coming down to: Benq, 1 or 2 cheap TNs, or wait for new 30s.

The bigger the better, I'd also go for the "26.
ecstatic.gif
champagne.gif

I bought a Planar PX2611W for the same purpose. IPS panel for excellent colors, very little to no screen lag (I dont have exact numbers but I do remember it rivals TNs), and 26 inches.

I do not believe this monitor supports HDCP, aka no PS3 connectivity. That was the dealbreaker for me.

The bigger the better, I'd also go for the "26.
ecstatic.gif
champagne.gif

that was my logic a while back.. I went from a 24" to a 30" then to a 37" and it seems like my gaming skills in all FPS games went down hill. I'm now going back to a 24" FP241VW
Just hope it's the larger monitor causing me the problems and not my age! :p

Ya I agree with most of what people have said above. I just got this monitor today, so I might be taking a look at it tonight. Thing is, I am putting together a new rig with this monitor and the parts are still coming in daily, so it will probably be about a week before I have everything up and running. I would be happy to give a review of the monitor at that time.

I purchased the FP241VW based on performance and not looks. It is marketed as a gaming monitor and review/comments from other websites and people on this board said you can't go wrong with the monitor for gaming. I plan on using this for gaming and for photoshop. This is also my first LCD, as I'm a long term CRT user.

With that said, what is the best way to make sure that there are no stuck or burnt out pixels. After spending a good amount of money on this, I want to make sure the product I got is flawless. Any suggestions or post I can check out?

Oh man, I just hooked this thing up to my old computer and it is super sweet. Now just to look for stuck pixels.

Looks like there is a stuck pixel (red) smack in the center of the screen. So far this is the only one I have been able to find. I have tried to rub it gently with the monitor turned off. Anything else I should try?

I purchased it directly from BenQ. Does anyone have any idea what their policies are on one pixel?

To anybody that's got a FP241VW, I've got a quick question. Is the panel fixed more or less permanently in the mount, or is it possible to remove it and put it on something like an articulated arm?

well add me to the list, gents. i just purchased an FP241VW. despite the stand being the worst looking thing in the industry i decided i would try it out before the discounts timed out on the 15th. can't wait to try it out.

Just as a final update here.

BenQ did not RMA my monitor, I had to purchase another and send back the original one I bought. I sent it back through US Parcel Post for $30 and I'm still waiting for the refund to come back on my credit card for the $449, but it should come soon.

The new FP241VW is awesome, not flaws! I've been playing TF2, CoD4, CSS, L4D and it is running great.

One I get my new rig OCed a little, I'll try out Crysis, Far Cry 2, Fallout 3, etc.

All in all, this monitor is great!

Back