Looking to format my disk

wassi

Gawd
I would like to format my hard drive, and install this xp pro oem i will be receiving, what is the best way i should go about doing so?

Thank you for your help.

Make sure your BIOS is set to have the CD-ROM first in the boot order (before the hard drive), insert the WinXP cd, reboot and follow the onscreen instructions. You can format through the installer.

will it make my hd more affective if i use that program to delete all?

"I use Active@Killdisk to do all my formatting. Free version will write all 0's to your hard drive."

drdeutsch

What the...? You dont need to do such a high level format (killdisk) if you're not disposing or selling the drive. Just use the formatting tool that the Windows installation has integrated.

During your new Windows installation, choose the partition you wish to install to, and do a quick format. After you have installed Windows, defragment the drive.

tommo said:
What the...? You dont need to do such a high level format (killdisk) if you're not disposing or selling the drive. Just use the formatting tool that the Windows installation has integrated.

During your new Windows installation, choose the partition you wish to install to, and do a quick format. After you have installed Windows, defragment the drive.
Assuming your data is backed up, this is true. I recommend deleting the old partitions and creating them new in the Windows setup utility

like drdeutsch said, i recommend a disk wiping utility too, dban or autoclave sould do the trick.

oldmx

Back