• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to cool an OCed E8400

ofDoom

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 23, 2005
Messages
120
I'm building a new rig and planning on running an overclocked E8400. I was wondering what HSF should I go for to cool this. The air cooling sticky seems to be outdated. I searched around and stopped on TS Ultra-120. Is it a good HSF to run this CPU with? Are there clearance issues with motherboards, particularly Biostar I45? I'll be running this in an Antec 900 case - any issues with that as well?
 
Edit: I'm using the Xig HDT-S1283 w/ Intel pushpins, it's fine just need care when moving the PC around, but I do have a ziptie bracing the HS.

Check this/these out:

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 for $35. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233003
If you want, get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233019
(OCZ Vendetta 2 is like a $45 before MIR copy of the 1283: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835202007)
W/ or w/o the retention bracket, the S1283 meets/beats the TRUE in most cases, @ least w/ C2D's w/ lower heat/wattage compared to (OC'd) quads. The Xig is 660g w/ fan, TRUE is 780g+ w/o a fan(TRUE is heavy). TRUE=$45+ and another $10+ for a good fan.

35-233-003-07.jpg


35-233-019-03.jpg
 
Thermalright Ultra Extreme 120 (TRUE120) is my favorite. Nothing has really outperformed it in the air cooling realm. It's not the cheapest, but it comes with everything you need to mount it securely. I'd do a google search on you possible heatsink/mobo combinations. If you want to go the cheap route I recommend Arctic Cooling's products. They're crazy cheap and work really well.
 
Go to SPCR review and they have a list of recommended heatsinks professionally tested in relationship to sound performance. If you ar enot concerned with sound output then you have more chocies by reving the fan up. I will take the Xig HDT-S1283, but your case has to be pretty wide as it ia like around 160mm tall. If not a Asus Triton 75 ($40) or a Scythe Zipang ($60) are good coolers which will cool your VRMs and Northbridge as well.
 
Back
Top