• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Looking to change raid cards (used)

Ramaddil

n00b
Joined
Mar 30, 2009
Messages
60
So I am currently using a LSI 8708EM2 which has two 8087 ports only giving me 8 drives. I bought it used but now thinking I want to go to a 16 port solution. Looking to buy another used one from eBay. And for the amount of money I am looking to spend 100-150$ I cam across three that I liked was wondering out of the three which one everyone prefers

LSI 84016E
Adaptec ASR-31605
Areca ARC 1280ML

I do realize they are out of date and used but I don't have 400+ to spend. Each have the specs I need to support 16 drives in raid 6. Just looking to see what the consensus would be for a preferred brand or quality.
 
Given the choices of the tree you posted, personally I would choose the Areca. That said, have you looked at a SAS expander just to utilize more ports on the card you have already?
 
I did but I looked at the prices and found that a new (used) card might be a better solution for me. I mean unless I buy a 12+ port expander because one port on the HBA will be used up in the SAS cable connection. And the ones on eBay 16 port expander go for 180+... And I am worried about the compatibility. With one card that is not a concern. Besides I have expander card that has one port for connection to HBA and two more 4 port connections. Haven't tested yet but that would only give me 12 instead of 16 ports.
 
Are you short of PCI-E slots?

A used LSI 8708EM2 only goes for around $60-70 on eBay, and that's with the BBU.

If you absolutely need 4 SAS connectors, another option is the LSI 8888ELP and use SAS-8088 to SATA breakout cables and do a loop around.
 
No not short on PCI-E Slots I have two only one is being utilized by the 8708EM2.. My only Issue with doing that Is a layout issue. My Server rig is housed in a Lian Li 343B which makes it kind of difficult to run cables out and back in especially to the other side of the case.

I do like the suggestion though especially the prices and will consider it as well.
 
Back
Top