• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to build first HTPC

Ihaveworms

Ukfay Ancerkay
Joined
Jul 25, 2006
Messages
4,757
So it is coming time to build a HTPC and I am totally out of the loop on lower end processors and video cards. I want my HTPC box to be able to decode high bit rate 1080p, do software RAID 5, and extract stuff in the background without making the video and audio stutter. I don't really know what processor and video card I should be looking at to do this. For now, I would like to have audio on my hdmi output from the video card and will be using the TV speakers in the mean time. Later, I will be doing optical out to a receiver.

So [H] peoples, I do not plan on gaming on this thing. Should I be looking at an AMD or Intel based system? Also, what CPU should I look at? What about what video card?
 
Why optical out? Does your receiver support HDMI?
 
I haven't even gotten a receiver yet. I wouldn't mind hdmi to that. Not really worried about that at the moment though. I want to know what CPU and video card I should be looking at.
 
I don't think the CPU matters too much. HD6450 is the video card i'd get.
 
Back
Top