Looking to build a new system

RavenX

Limp Gawd
My current system is an i5 2500k with an nvidia gtx 980 and 8gigs of ram all played on a 1080 monitor. Been running this setup for a long time and decided it was time to upgrade since I'd like to play the new cyberpunk 2077 game maxed out when it comes out this November. I understand the recommended specs have not been officially released so all we can do is guesstimate what kind of system will be needed to run smoothly at 2k. I've recently purchased a new gsync 2k monitor however I have not decided on a video card yet but thinking of either an rtx 2080 or an rtx 30XX when they get released. I have not kept up with any cpu news for almost the past 10 years, however I do understand the latest Intel chip is the comet lake 14nm i9 10900k. What would the knowledable members on this forum recommend I go with? Should I get the 10900k chip, skip them all together and wait for the next gen models intel will be releasing, or should I go the amd ryzen route? I've never owned an amd chip before, always had intel since my first computer build in the late 90's. I'd appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

I am kinda late here but looks the hot trend is to go full Ryzen... unless you have a MB that supports later Intel gen cpus..

Depends, since you've only mentioned gaming, what else do you do with your PC and what kind of importance do you have for gaming vs other uses. For pure gaming, Intel is still the leader. For many other work loads (read, multi threaded work loads) AMD is a much smarter choice. It's not as black and white as one is ways better like it used to be. Also, new AMD chips should be out by the end of the year and seems they are looking around 15% IPC (but that's a rumor, so grain of salt). They will close the single core/game gap a bit more and be further ahead in mutlithreaded apps, but we won't know how much until its released and put through the wringer. You also said you want to play at 2k, so the gaming gal gets smaller at higher resolutions. It's a decent gap at 1080p (so if you're a twitch gamer or professional, intel is best for low res high fps), smaller gap at 2k and still there but not to much difference at 4k (depends on game as well).

Also, are you planning/enjoy overclocking & tweaking or set and forget? Just trying to get some background to make a better recommendation for your specific use as one size fits all is pretty much gone.

Should I get the 10900k chip, skip them all together and wait for the next gen models intel will be releasing, or should I go the amd ryzen route? I've never owned an amd chip before, always had intel since my first computer build in the late 90's. I'd appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

There is nothing to skip to on Intel side so it's either the current gen 10900 or 9900, or wait for Zen 3 aka Ryzen 3. The AMD platform which underpins Ryzen cpus will last another two years at max at which point it will transition to AM5, aka DDR5 and pcie5 or whatever next greatness is. If you need to move now and are partial to Intel, 10700/10900 for intel is your best bet and it still holds the slight gaming lead. But if you're willing to wait it out a lil try the other side, Ryzen 4 should be worth the wait. Intel won't have an answer for a long time.

Last edited:
My current system is an i5 2500k with an nvidia gtx 980 and 8gigs of ram all played on a 1080 monitor. Been running this setup for a long time and decided it was time to upgrade since I'd like to play the new cyberpunk 2077 game maxed out when it comes out this November. I understand the recommended specs have not been officially released so all we can do is guesstimate what kind of system will be needed to run smoothly at 2k. I've recently purchased a new gsync 2k monitor however I have not decided on a video card yet but thinking of either an rtx 2080 or an rtx 30XX when they get released. I have not kept up with any cpu news for almost the past 10 years, however I do understand the latest Intel chip is the comet lake 14nm i9 10900k. What would the knowledable members on this forum recommend I go with? Should I get the 10900k chip, skip them all together and wait for the next gen models intel will be releasing, or should I go the amd ryzen route? I've never owned an amd chip before, always had intel since my first computer build in the late 90's. I'd appreciate any and all input. Thanks.

if you're looking to buy now then Zen 2 is your best bet...you can also wait for Zen 3 or Intel's upcoming Rocket Lake-S lineup which will have PCIe 4 support...Intel is still faster on paper in terms of gaming benchmarks (mainly due to their higher clock speeds) but overall AMD is catching up and Zen 3 should bring them even closer

It's pointless buying now, gpus and Zen 3 are on the way.

Most importantly we don't have any beta #s from Cyberpunk so this would be throwing $ at a hole

Back