• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking to build a new SFF

Panelli

n00b
Joined
Jun 8, 2011
Messages
2
I've been hanging around here reading for a while but I am looking to start a new project and figured I would put it out there for some input.

Ideas(subject to change) I have at the moment i5 2500k in a Z68 itx board however there is not really any variety there to work with so I am in a bit of a waiting game anyway. This build will have to have wireless internet connectivity. Also I hate the Sugo 07 it is in my opinion ugly ugly ugly and in all honesty I would love to get smaller than that anyway.

1. What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming, Photoshop (or other intensive programs), Overclocking, Web browsing, strictly HTPC/Playback, etc.
~Gaming(mostly SCII maybe DiabloIII someday), Media playback, general computing, I am a casual overclocker at best only overclocked 2 of my last 6 systems… basically this will be my main computer for the next few years

2. What's your budget?
~Ideally I would like to stay below $1000

3. Where do you live?
~There is a Microcenter not horribly far away but it is a royal pain to get there. I am perfectly fine ordering stuff online its what I usually do

4. What exact parts do you need for that budget?
~I would like to get CPU, RAM, Motherboard, Case, HDD(s), SSD, optical drive, PSU, possibly GPU(see below)

5. If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing?
~I have a 1GB Evga gtx 460 SC EE that I can use

6. What specific features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? etc.
~Only really need USB 3.0 and SATA 6Gb/s

7. What resolution output do you need?
~DVDs and possibly Blu-ray need to look good

8. Does this system need to fit into a particular space?
~Needs to be the smallest thing that can accomplish what I need. I will have to be able to carry this on airplanes ect.

9. How comfortable are you with custom case design/modification and electrical wiring?
~Truly the less I have to do the better but I can handle a screwdriver, and more reluctantly a drill and/or Dremel. I have access to all of them just not 100% confidence in any “delicate” work.

10. How important is the noise/silence of this system?
~Quieter is better but as long as is it reasonable it should be fine not something I want to sacrifice too much performance on or too much money.

11. How mobile does this system need to be?
~Doesn’t need a handle just needs to fit in a carry-on bag

12. Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
~I will need to get a new 64bit OS for this

13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
~Realistically late August/ early September basically before I go away but could be sooner

Anyway thanks for any input you may have
 
13. When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
~Realistically late August/ early September basically before I go away but could be sooner

My stock answer for this is to wait until two weeks before you will do the actual purchasing to come here and ask your questions. The reason is that so much can change between now and then. Even if nothing new comes out, pricing and availability can drastically change whatever build you decide on now.

With that being said...

Smaller than SG07 means SG05/06. I don't think you can get anything smaller than that with any hopes of using a decent graphics card. The 300W PSU they come with should be good enough for a stock clocked Sandy Bridge CPU and a GTX 460. You will need to use one 6-pin PCIe power adapter. You will also need to use a slim optical drive.

CPU-wise, unless Bulldozer proves to be as power efficient, the logical choice is a Sandy Bridge CPU. The 2500K is ever popular.

4GB RAM should do the trick. Just get something that is preferably 1.5v and 1333MHz or 1600MHz.
 
Thanks for the response. I understand that a lot can change and I know I will take that into account as it happens I just want a good starting point that I can modify as things change. A major reason for not pulling the trigger on this build earlier is due to the lack of availability of Z68 itx boards because that in my mind is my ideal.

Basically I am looking for people to add input of ideas just to make sure I am taking into account as many things as possible and keeping my options open.
 
I would also consider a Lian Li PC-Q11 with a Silverstone Strider 500W modular PSU. It has a smaller footprint than the SG07 but stands a bit taller. It should still fit into the carry-on class you are looking for. In addition, the EE GTX 460 fits the PC-Q11 and the external exhaust will help with cooling in the lower portion of the case.

When I built my mITX system for my fiance, I was essentially juggling between the PC-Q11 and the SG05. I ended up going with the SG05, largely to save some money, but also because I figured the boxy style of the SG05 would be harder for her cat to knock over.
 
Back
Top