• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking into getting 2 SATAII and Raid 0

iRoNeTiK

Vodka Martinis are for the Weak
Joined
Aug 4, 2003
Messages
1,417
Right now I have a WD 80 gig ATA100 2MB cache 4 yr old hdd as my OS/program file harddrive. I recently upgraded everything but my harddrives. I'm looking into getting two small(er) capacity SATAII harddrives so i can setup RAID0 with them. I would use them for OS/program files. I have bigger drives for music and backup etc...

you think ill see a boost in performace? LOL jk i know i will

This hdd is only 55 bucks @ newegg.com:

HITACHI Deskstar 7K80 80GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822145082

The reviews seem decent. anyone else have any comments or suggestions?
Again I don't need two 200 gig hdd only 80 gig ones. Maybe I'll do two 120's if the price is right but this seems like a deal...2 hdd's for 110 bucks.

thanks for the suggestions in advance
 
RAID 0 is nce on 7200 RPm drives, dont get sucked in wth the SATAII 3gb/s crap - nothing but marketing hype .
 
RAID 0 is marketing hype. The only thing it improves is writing large files to disk. That's it. In synthetic benchmarks it pulls ahead but those mean nothing. You have to look at real world benchmarks. Which shows RAID 0 losing to a standard single 7200rpm drive.

I decided to do alittle experiement of my own. I had the drives and the onboard controller. I have two SATA2 drives in Raid0. Specifically Seagate 160gb NCQ Sata2 drives. No speed improvement anywhere. At least nowhere where it matters. And these drives are replacing my main 74gb raptor drive.

Don't buy into the gimick.
 
For the ~$120 that those two 80GB drives in RAID-0 would cost, you can get a 250GB drive that will achieve higher capacity, be more reliable, deliver comparable transfer performance, deliver better application performance, introduce less heat into the case, and reduce driver complexity.

Now, if you wanted two hard drives to have separate file systems for on the fly backup and/or increased multi tasking performance, then go for it. However, it simply doesn't make sense to combine two slower drives into one file system when you can buy a single hard drive that achieves 50% more capacity for the same cost.
 
Thanks for your information guys. I think I will just go for a 80gig SATAII/SATA 150 7200 rpm hdd.....I only want to use this for my OS and program files, nothing more. If i got a 200 gig+ only as my OS hdd i wouldnt feel safe putting documents etc on it...

Also

what is NCQ? IS NCQ worth it? I hear postive things about it.
 
why wouldnt you feel safe with a 200g drive - they are just as safe as any 80g drive, or 100g drive, or 500g drive.

NCQ - Native command queing

it helps as it prioritizes writes / reads from the harddrive - giving some performance boost.
 
Clicky Shows the impact of having a larger drive. Note that the 250GB drive, with its 125GB platters, delivers about 20% higher linear transfer rates than the 160GB drive with 80GB platters. That 20% figure is about what you would gain from running RAID-0, even in access patterns where RAID-0 scales well. Also note that the larger drive delivers better performance in all of SR's application tests despite slower seek performance. The advantage of a larger Hitachi drive would be even greater, as Hitachi has customarily delivered the best seek performance in the business.

Also, seems kind of weird that you would trust a RAID-0 array but wouldn't trust a single large drive.

NCQ helps overall desktop performance on Maxtor drives, hurts throughput on other brands. However, NCQ is a huge help when you are conducting a lienar trnasfer from the disk in addition to general application work.
 
Hehe, it's not that i dont trust a larger drive its just that i dont need it for OS/program files i dont need 250 gigs. I currently have 51 gigs free on my 80 gig right now :)

If i used raid 0 and it failed then i would only lose my OS and program files but that is not that bad since all my other things are other bigger drives.

I don't think I will get raid 0 i might get a larger drive though, seeing that they seem better deal for the money...hmm 55 dollars for 80 gigs and 100-120 dollars for anthing from 200 to 320 gigs about, lower gig/dollar

Thanks for the links and advice everyone. Most apperciated.
 
Back
Top