Looking into audio upgrade + headphones

EET

Limp Gawd
Currently I have an MSI K8N Neo4 SLI Platinum, which has onboard SB Live! 24-bit. This was mainly the reason I bought the board (aside from being SLI), otherwise I probably would've gone with a mobo roughly $50 or so cheaper. Afterwards I found out the issues the Live! chip has with certain games, EAX, etc. I can't enable 'hardware audio' in games like BF2, I also had sound issues in Trackmania Nations (to name 2). I'm almost kicking myself now for buying this board over buying a less expensive one and buying a nice sound card, but what's done is done, not a big enough hassle to change boards with the ever-changing tech.

So, I'm looking for a good sound card, most likely Creative, because I do more gaming than anything, and I've read EAX tends to help quite a bit with in-game audio effects. I do listen to music (and an occasional movie) as well, but it's not as high on the list as gaming with this system. At home sound is run through headphones (see below) or through a Yamaha HTR-5590 6.1 receiver (DD, DTS, 100x6), and it has individual analog inputs on the rear. Currently I only have a pair of satellite speakers on the desk (+ JBL PB12 sub) until I get a set of wall/ceiling mounts to mount the satellites around the room (in-wall wiring).

I'm also looking into a set of headphones, since my last set more or less fell apart on me. I had thought of getting a set that were capable of surround sound, but I'm not sure which ones would be best on a budget. I've looked into Razer, Zalman, and Turtle Beach. I wouldn't be surprised if Sennheiser made a set, but all I could find on their site are stereo sets. As before, they're primarily for gaming, so a mic is required, and occasionally I watch a movie, but typically I don't wear headphones for movies.

EET said:
...and occasionally I watch a movie, but typically I don't wear headphones for movies.
Hahaha. If you bought a good pair of headphones, that would change. :D
(good as in...... none of the ones you listed)

Anyways, if you are at the point in your life where you are worrying about sound quality, spring for a sound card that supports the EAX features you demand (in this case.... only the new creative cards will do).

And get yourself a good headphone. Sadly, I can think of none with a mic attached by default without getting into the professional studio grade headphones.

I think you'll want to look for the x-fi gamer card. It's the one that does the EAX in hardware. Here's a way to get it for $50. It's sold out, but you can buy it on backorder.

http://dealnews.com/deals/Creative-...-Gamer-Sound-Card-from-50-shipped/143656.html

Since you have a receiver already, you should get some decent speakers. Use the ones you have now as surrounds later.

$160 (shipped free with coupon "shipspeakers")
2x FOSGATE AUDIONICS FA52.0 D'Appolitto Passive Monitor Speaker

http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?item=FOSFA52

As indicated earlier, "5.1 surround" headphones are crap. Just get stereo. When you tell the Creative driver that you are listening with headphones they will apply DSP to mimic surround sound effects. That'll be fine.

spaceman said:
Get any X-Fi and some Senheiser 555s for the cheapest upgrade. Even this is WAY better than any "gaming headset" and listen to me here 5.1 Headsets SUCK.

Goto http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/index.php for way more info.

I am in the same boat as the OP and this is the route I took exactly.
Amazon has the HD555's for around $95 with free shipping:

Senn HD555

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
'Ey thur. I didn't realize this thread was replied to, didn't get an email & I hadn't checked my subscribed threads 'til now. I got the XtremeGamer, and I'm currently using my Sony MDR-X300s. Sure they're not the best, but they do alright for now.

Hahaha. If you bought a good pair of headphones, that would change. :D
(good as in...... none of the ones you listed)

Anyways, if you are at the point in your life where you are worrying about sound quality, spring for a sound card that supports the EAX features you demand (in this case.... only the new creative cards will do).

And get yourself a good headphone. Sadly, I can think of none with a mic attached by default without getting into the professional studio grade headphones.

I'd rather light myself on fire than listen to a movie with headphones, and I've heard plenty of good ones. =P

Back