Looking for widescreen ultracompact notebooks

Kit

n00b
So far the ones I'm interested in are the Fujitsu P series and the Sony Vaio TR series notebooks. I feel that the P series is underpowered and the TR series is way overpriced. Is there any other notebooks similar to these? Thanks.

WS + Ultracompact is almost an oxymoron.

Good luck... That's gonna be a strange model no matter where you look. I'm surprised you found ANY.

Fujistu P5020D

Best Ultraportable for it's money

under 4 lbs.
Widescreen
builtin DVD/CDRW
long battery life
excellent screen

I just got the P5020 and I can say it's not underpowered. This thing zips right along. BTW, I have a 7200RPM HDD.

Also I second www.leog.net. It's a great site to see what the P can do.

One more thing Sony Sucks, there support is the worst I have seen in a long time. Be careful if you go with a Sony, they don't provide full public driver support for there products.

Originally posted by Kit
So far the ones I'm interested in are the Fujitsu P series and the Sony Vaio TR series notebooks. I feel that the P series is underpowered and the TR series is way overpriced. Is there any other notebooks similar to these? Thanks.

I just ordered the TR2 from newegg..

They had a one day sale at $1899

free shipping so I jumped on it....looks pretty good though with shared vram I think I'm going to put a 1gb sodimm in there.

Originally posted by TheGameguru
I just ordered the TR2 from newegg..

They had a one day sale at $1899

free shipping so I jumped on it....looks pretty good though with shared vram I think I'm going to put a 1gb sodimm in there.

Make sure you make a good backup of the Hard Drive when you get it becuase if you loose the drivers on there you will have to pay sony $50 to get the recovery disks with the drivers on it. They don't have them all on the web for download.

Originally posted by Doc Holiday
Make sure you make a good backup of the Hard Drive when you get it becuase if you loose the drivers on there you will have to pay sony $50 to get the recovery disks with the drivers on it. They don't have them all on the web for download.

That's gay.

Thats nuts...and not suprising coming from Sony..

Nice hardware...horrible drivers and crappy support..

I hope at least theres a way to make the drivers into a CD or something using a program on the HD..

I've read on a few forums that a complete reformat is neccesary as Sony preloads a ton of crap on the HD and partitions it kinda strange..

10gb C and 30gb D or something like that.

Yea when you first boot I think you can make the CD's it about 9 of them. But I was so pissed I took it back to BestBuy. Where I got in another fight with the Best Buy manager about the 15% resock fee if the laptop isn't broken. So needless to say they wouldn't budge on restock fee so I haven't bought anything from them since and will not buy anything from them in years to come.

The funny thing is that my job requires me to make large buys from places like that and the week after I Best Buy stuck it to me I stuck it to them by choosing CompUSA over Best Buy for about $10,000 in computer equipment. I have to buy retail because most of the stuff we buy we need now and can't wait 24 hours for it to ship.

The funny thing is that my job requires me to make large buys from places like that and the week after I Best Buy stuck it to me I stuck it to them by choosing CompUSA over Best Buy for about $10,000 in computer equipment. I have to buy retail because most of the stuff we buy we need now and can't wait 24 hours for it to ship.
Nice! Way to screw them over. Such stories warm my heart.

Originally posted by TheGameguru
not sure about compact..

its a 15.2" screen and weighs close to 7lbs

Well, he DID say WIDESCREEN laptop. and the X1000 is one of the thinest and lightest widescreen lappys available...

But yeah, Being a Widescreen, the X1000 is by no means "ultra-compact" :D

That is so typical of sony. I really hate that company.

Back