Looking for ways to improve my wireless connection

Harddriver

Weaksauce
I've just moved into a subleased basement where I don't have much control over the internet that I'm given. Right now I'm using a RNX-N600UBE with about 4/5 bars, but it's still a bit shaky. There are some things that I cannot do, such as replace the wireless router/AP with something better (my property owner lives upstairs and she doesn't know much about technology and I don't want to bother her), or upgrade the 15/5 internet connection that I have. So any changes must be attributed to my end; with that said, I've been looking at possibly getting stronger antennas, a new wireless adapter, a repeater, or maybe powerline networking. I'll also note that I'm at a good distance from the router (~50). What options would you guys consider?

If I left out any details, please feel free to ask! Thanks a lot!

I've been looking at these to help boost my signal a little bit, but I'm not sure if this is the best bang for my buck! Has anyone had any success with repeaters in a similar situation such as mine?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
if you can't run a cable... i would get a ubiquiti nanostation loco m2... point it at the router (configure it for the landlady's wireless) and plug the network side into either your computer directly, or your own wireless router...

if you can't run a cable... i would get a ubiquiti nanostation loco m2... point it at the router (configure it for the landlady's wireless) and plug the network side into either your computer directly, or your own wireless router...

^ What he said. The rubberduck antennas that you linked do not typically afford any change in signal. It's more of a placebo effect.

I just replaced my wireless with a powerline adapter and couldn't be happier. My download went from around 8 Mbps on the wireless to over 20 Mbps with the powerline adapter. My latency is also much improved.

I've been on the fence with regard to powerline adapters for the last year or two but never made the switch because of negative experiences I've read about. Newegg currently has the linksys powerline adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124482) on sale for 39.99 with promo code EMCPHWG32 which is why I finally decided to give it a try.

I think this was the most hassle free computer experience I've ever had. No drivers or software needed. I just connected one adapter to my router and the second to my computer and it worked immediately.

In my limited experience, you certainly can't go wrong with a powerline adapter if you have access to an outlet near the router.

This is really interesting, although I have no idea how to use it, or if I can use it at all. I'm not sure that I have access to the router whatsoever, so would that be a problem? Also I want to note that I'm using this same wireless connection on my SmartTV and Blu-Ray player for Netflix and the like -- would this enhance the connection to those devices too? If not, is it possible to get a stronger connection on all of those devices and my computer?

Addendum: I COULD access the router if I wanted to -- I'd prefer not, but if I have to I suppose I could.
^ What he said. The rubberduck antennas that you linked do not typically afford any change in signal. It's more of a placebo effect.
I see. I figured it might be just enough to do me justice, but perhaps not.
I just replaced my wireless with a powerline adapter and couldn't be happier. My download went from around 8 Mbps on the wireless to over 20 Mbps with the powerline adapter. My latency is also much improved.

I've been on the fence with regard to powerline adapters for the last year or two but never made the switch because of negative experiences I've read about. Newegg currently has the linksys powerline adapter (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833124482) on sale for 39.99 with promo code EMCPHWG32 which is why I finally decided to give it a try.

I think this was the most hassle free computer experience I've ever had. No drivers or software needed. I just connected one adapter to my router and the second to my computer and it worked immediately.

In my limited experience, you certainly can't go wrong with a powerline adapter if you have access to an outlet near the router.
My access to the router is a bit shaky. My landlord lives upstairs with the router, and I don't think she wants me to invade her space, although if it comes down do it, I may need to in the end, but I want to make sure that it's worth it first.

you configure the device i mentioned with the information you already have to be able to access her router...

then you configure your own wireless router with your own information, and join your smart TV and bluray player and any of your own devices to your own wireless router...

you configure the device i mentioned with the information you already have to be able to access her router...

then you configure your own wireless router with your own information, and join your smart TV and bluray player and any of your own devices to your own wireless router...
So I need this device and a wireless router for myself; I see. What are some cheaper options for decent wireless routers?

Last edited:
Back