Looking for video card

WhatTheSchmidt

Limp Gawd
I expected to buy a video card Friday or today and there hasn't been much of anything. I currently have a 6850 but need more power to get better gfx at 1920x1200 resolution on games like BF3, metro 2033, crysis...

Why wasn't there a decent sale on 560ti or 6950 or something like that?

I'm looking to spend 175-235 something like that but need a decent upgrade from 6850..

The 6950 would be the best card in that price range. Itll handle anything at 1920x1200 although you may have to drop a setting or two in Metro and Crysis. My rig will max out both those games but Im in the low to upper 30's most of the time and my 5870 is comparable to a 6950. If youre wanting higher than 30'ish framerates at max settings in those games, a GTX570/6970 would be what youd need but theyre in the mid $300's.

The suggestion for a 2nd 6850 is a good one. Your power supply would be enough for a 6850 Crossfire setup and it would be substantially faster than a 6950. The only downside would be having to battle the wretched AMD Crossfire drivers every time a new game comes out. Other than that, youd have a very capable rig.

The 6850 is rated as a very good card currently. And, Crossfire is great for those systems that can handle it. However, if your system is on the lower edge of the requirements, you WILL have problems.....ie freezes, crashes, stuttering, and eventually, burning out your PSU......

been there, done that, never again :)

I recently purchased another 5850 for my PC and only have a hx620 psu. Ended up upgrading to an ax850 to make sure I wouldn't have any problems with overclocking them so I see where you are coming from.

Any way you look at it, new card or crossfire, you really should upgrade your PSU.

This one looks pretty good and will provide you with enough wattage to power any card(s) you want, not only now but in the future.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703028

FYI, imho your power supply is not something that you want to pinch pennies on.

that's kinda silly to say I was pinching pennies on a Corsair 520hx

It's older, but it's a great PSU and I'm looking to get another year out of it by not going the route of needing 500 watts + just for GPUs

MacLeod said the 520hx I have will be enough for xfire on 2 6850s which is the route I plan on going now

time to find a used 6850

Back