• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for users experiences with 7680x1600 eyefinity

tejas

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 2, 2008
Messages
77
I am considering pulling the trigger on two Dell U3011 monitors to complement my Dell 3008WFP. My GPU is an AMD 6990 so I think I should be ok.

I'm just curious about everyone's experiences. How do games play at this insane resolution? I have never gone eyefinity so am unfamiliar with any software issues that may occur.

Do games look right at this resolution... i.e not fisheyed? I am aware that AMD does not validate this resolution officially for eyefinity.

Would I be better served going 5760x1200 for surefire compatibility?

Can I play games on the single centre monitor if I want to and not play eyefinity. Does the software allow that flexibility or do you just select 2560x1600 in the game menu and the software automatically just displays on the centre display?

Eyefinity is a new thing for me and I am dropping a ton of money so want to be doubly sure before I pull the trigger so asking the [H]orde is the logical thing to do!. :D
 
I personally have no experience with eyefinity but am curious, why not just do 5760x1200?

is it personal preference?

like I said, its a real question, is there an advantage to going so much higher? One day id like to go eyefinity.
 
I have an eyefinty setup myself, and i do not recommend it at all. I am using the 4800x900 setup, the fisheye is terrible. 3 displays is great for workflow reasons, but other than that, it was a great waste of money. I.m thinking about going back to 2 larger screens to be honest. But I digress that the fisheye is so bad, the it totally ruins the experiance no matter how hard I try. But that's my two cents.

This was type on tablet that I got today. Please excuse my grammar. Hard to get used to.
 
I have an eyefinty setup myself, and i do not recommend it at all. I am using the 4800x900 setup, the fisheye is terrible. 3 displays is great for workflow reasons, but other than that, it was a great waste of money. I.m thinking about going back to 2 larger screens to be honest. But I digress that the fisheye is so bad, the it totally ruins the experiance no matter how hard I try. But that's my two cents.

This was type on tablet that I got today. Please excuse my grammar. Hard to get used to.

Does changing FOV in games help? is the fisheye different at different resolutions?

4800x900 is that 3 20inch monitors?

I find it cool when I see videos of racing games, FPS i havnt seen anything cool just yet.
 
The other monitors are more for immersing you into the game by giving you peripheral vision. While it does help you see more, less than half of the other two monitors can really be used for seeing more. I never look directly at the secondary monitors, that's not what they are there for. As for lowering the FOV, that would reduce your vertical vision drastically.
 
Let me clear somethings up here:

The Truth About Edge Distortion - Aspect Ratio and FOV have more to deal with how much Fisheye you experience. This is just how 3D engines work. It's not created by eyefinity itself.

Also you can play at 2560x1600 if you want to.

Games look great, but you'll need some horse power to get things going. You will need to drop some settings, but you should be fine.

I play a 7680x1600 with much crappier hardware (see sig) feel free to ask me anything.
 
I don't think it's worth it for 2 30" monitors to show stretched content, but for me I only spent $300 on my monitors so I think it's a nice immersive setup. You definitely will hate going back to one monitor if a game doesn't support it.
 
Can I play games on the single centre monitor if I want to and not play eyefinity. Does the software allow that flexibility or do you just select 2560x1600 in the game menu and the software automatically just displays on the centre display?

Depends entirely on the game itself. It ranges from having the Eyefinity resolution available right in the game to having to tweak INI files for resolution and FOV to no Eyefinity support at all.

CCC is pretty flexible, though. On my 5760x1200 setup, I have four presets: just the center screen by itself, triple monitor extended, regular Eyefinity, and Eyefinity with bezel compensation. Then I just have hotkeys setup to switch among them. Works pretty slick.

The only issue I have is when going to the triple extended mode, the monitor I have connected via DP sometimes doesn't go to the right resolution or the right desktop orientation (ends up as the center screen of the three usually instead of the left side). In that case, I just hit the hotkey for the triple extended mode again and it gets everything set right.
 
you will need more than a single 6990 for 3x30", I'd say at least add another 6970 to the mix.

This. If you find a game that will do that resolution it's gonna crush the 6990 however the recent reviews from HardOCP indicate that it might be good to wait on driver updates for Trifire Eyefinity or quad-fire, same with Nvidia.
 
Does changing FOV in games help? is the fisheye different at different resolutions?

4800x900 is that 3 20inch monitors?

I find it cool when I see videos of racing games, FPS i havnt seen anything cool just yet.

I have tried dozens of combinations for FOV. It is true that games are just got designed for eyefinity in mind, and current games reflect this. I too thought it was really awesome to see in videos, but then I got my setup (<$300 for all my setup as well) and I just could not stand it. For an example, I can put a "target" at the center of my screen, then move the camera so that the target is at the far edge of the right or left screen an now the target it larger. Much larger. Almost 3 times as large. The only game that don't do this are isometric games like Civ V.

This fisheye distortion is so distracting to me that I no long play with eyefinity. Also, the constant switching between eyefinity resolution and 3x 1600x900 so that I can run my business is extremely annoying to me as well. At one point and time, I used a 1080p 32in TV for a monitor, and I thought that this was more immersible than this setup.

And Yes, this is 3x 20in LED monitors. Probably going for sale or trade soon. =)

Cheers!
 
I have a 7680x1440 Eyefinity setup and can't see myself ever going back to single screen. One 6990 isn't going to cut it in a lot of cases. Crysis and Crysis: Warhead have massive stutters at 7680x1440 even though fps is above 30. One fix for that is to play on gamer/high or bringing resolution down a notch to 5760x1200/5760x1080.

You can't use 4x AA or higher at that res in most games, Far Cry 2 was a notable exception. Most modern games can be played with 2xAA but at a considerable fps hit.

You can play most games in single res but some games like Metro 2033 use the wide aspect ration of Eyefinity so everything is very stretched, best to disable Eyefinity if you want to play games in non eyefinity resolutions. An other problem is that some games just cut off part of the game world in Eyefinity so you're forced to play in single res. Some games have stretched huds in eyefinity, some can be fixed with mods, others can't.

PowerDVD won't play blue-rays in eyefinity, something to do with protection and not allowing movies to be shown on multiple monitors.

The fisheye effect really depends on the game and you can't blame eyefinity for it.
 
My setup is only a 720p projector @ 106" screen,
I do my gaming about 1.5M from the screen,
It's bigger, cheaper & no annoying bezel.

yes it's only 720p, but unless you have eyes of a hawk you don't need all those pixels.
 
Back
Top