Looking for upgrade recommendations...

schenks

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
1,642
So my current rig is such:

Intel Q6600
4 gigs ram
8800GT
500W PSU
Dell 2007WFP monitor (1680x1050) as main

I'm looking for an upgrade that is not necessarily a crazy performance card, but one that fits within the power spec of the 8800GT. Having not really paid much attention to the power draw of cards since my purchase, I'm admittedly out of the loop here, which is why I'm looking for some help. Unfortunately, the limitation here is that I'm not really set on building a new rig right now. I'm mostly looking to take advantage of black friday sales to grab myself a quick upgrade, hence the requirement of it fitting inside of my current power envelope.

I really only have three basic considerations looking at this purchase:

  • Same (or lower --- bonus!) power draw as the 8800GT
  • General performance increase at my current 1680x1050 resolution
  • At some point I may upgrade my main monitor, but I wouldn't be going past 1920x1200

As far as what games I play/what I do, I play most of the current releases. More importantly, I'm an active Unreal Engine developer, so any performance gain on the video card side will be seen on the editor side of things during some of the level design process.

That being said, what are the general leading cards that I should be looking at?

edit: or if this is really an impossible find (hell, i dunno)....let me know what the general power requirements are for something roughly in the range i'm looking at.
 
Last edited:
Hi there you can always grab a 5750 which should be 30%-40% faster then your current card and draws less power,DX11 and that 3 monitor thingy.
 
What 500W PSU do you have?
What's your max budget for this upgrade?
 
What 500W PSU do you have?
What's your max budget for this upgrade?

Don't really have a particular budget, given that my intuition would be that the cards I'm looking at are lower priced anyway.

PSU I believe is this one (it's been a while). Been getting reliably steady voltage from it on all accounts, so I don't have much reason to believe that it would have any issues w/ a similarly powered card.
 
Back
Top