Looking for timer to shutdown computer...

StuartTX

Weaksauce
Is there a function in XP or a program available that you have heard of that will shut down my computer at 11:30 and then bring it back up at 6:00? That's all I ask, doesn't sound too complicated, right? :)

There might be a setting in the BIOS to auto power on or down at certain times.

FOr shutdown, theres a command line and also there is shutgui.exe from the nt resource kit that you can schedule to run at a certain time

It would help to know why you need the computer to shutdown?

Otherwise I'd recommend using an S3 (STR) suspend. Software can put the computer down in to an S3 and task scheduler can wake the computer from it. The computer uses marginally more power (1-5 Watts in my experience depending on the comp) than being in a Soft-off (S5) state.

The kicker is as long as your hardware supports S3, you don't need any extra software other than what XP comes with.

It would help to know why you need the computer to shutdown?

Otherwise I'd recommend using an S3 (STR) suspend. Software can put the computer down in to an S3 and task scheduler can wake the computer from it. The computer uses marginally more power (1-5 Watts in my experience depending on the comp) than being in a Soft-off (S5) state.

The kicker is as long as your hardware supports S3, you don't need any extra software other than what XP comes with.

oh, i will try this:D

Back