• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for the best setup for working with text

alexv

n00b
Joined
Mar 1, 2008
Messages
6
Hi,

I am trying to figure out the best setup for software development/technical writing/reading etc. That means I have a lot of text on the screen - editors, pdf files, terminal windows, big spreadsheets - that sort of stuff. The main goal is to get the highest text sharpness possible (including during scrolling - important!), the second goal is to get a lot of screen real estate. At this point I am torn between one 24" widescreen monitor vs 2 20" 4x3 monitors. What do you think? What models I should be looking at? Will IPS be better choice? Also are there videocards better suitable for this kind of stuff? I don't play any games and I don't watch any movies on that computer - just stare at the code and documents all day long :) The budget is about $800.

Thanks
 
For $800 get two 24" monitors and rotate them vertically. You'll see more text that way.
 
The best setup for programming is a single 30 inch monitor, but they start at about $1200. The tighter dot pitch allows you to get a heck of a lot on the screen.

I think 2 24s in portrate mode would be hard to work with, having that big divider right down the middle of everything. Maybe a pair of 21s in landscape mode.

I have a 24 inch Dell and it is pretty good, but I would like to upgrade to a 30 incher.

Best of luck

Dave
 
I'd get three 22" monitors (some cheap ones like the on-sale Acer) and two video cards.

$185x3 for the monitors + say, two HD3450's (2x$55). $665 for a whole wall of text. Add on a fourth 22" and you're only a little over budget and you have a LOT of freaking documents open at the same time.

But if you require crystal-clear text while scrolling, then it's CRT time. That's not going to help with sharpness though.
 
Thanks for all responses! So far I narrowed down my choices to two: 2x HP LP2065 ($329 each after rebate at newegg). Pros: it looks like they started using IPS panels again and there are many reviews specifically praising the exceptional text quality. Cons: the model is 2 (3?) years old so the technology is not state of the art.

The second choice in my price range is the new 24" Dell Ultrasharp 2408WFP ($699). Pros: the series has very good reputation as far as sharpness goes and this is the latest technology. Cons: there are no detailed reviews yet (I have seen reviews for the previous model that weren't as favorable) and this is not an IPS panel.

So I am still on a fence...
 
I don't know about IPS being better for 'text quality'. I have an S-IPS panel (23") next to a TN one (22") and the text sharpness is identical. The only difference is a little more blur (go figure) on the TN, and of course some color shifting across the height of the panel.

Both suck equally when fast-scrolling documents due to blur. But I would still take three of those TN 22" models over two 24" IPS models if the priority was seeing as much text at the same time as possible. Personally I like having a largish 1900x1200 display (23-28") in the middle of two 22" displays.

The only caveat is that I always use DVI for the monitors. If you use VGA, then definitely YMMV depending on the panel's internal electronics.
 
Back
Top