Looking for Speaker & Receiver Suggestions for Sony TV

CircuitsMan

Weaksauce
I have a HTPC I built a HTPC a few months ago and I'm loving it so far. Now I want to get better sound than my TV currently gives me. My TV is a 40 Sony V-Series KDL-40V5100. I had posted once before asking for speaker suggestions for 5.1 or 7.1, but I've since decided against it. I'm only considering doing stereo since most of what I'll be watching/listening to is I think is goign to be stereo anyways. Primary uses for my HTPC are watching TV shows via the internet, playing computer games (currently I only play TF2), music, and once in a blue moon the occasional movie. I don't exactly know what to expect to pay for this system, but I'd like to keep it under $500 if possible.

I've encountered before how people at this forum feel about others not doing their research and I am doing what I research I can on my own, but I wouldn't mind getting a little advice or suggestions while I'm searching. I do have a few questions I wouldn't mind getting some help on.

1) Does anyone here have a lot of knowedge/experience with CEC? I've read on the internet that CEC is supposed to be a standard and work universally acrossed all brands, but some manufacturers aren't exactly playing nice with others. Since my TV s a Sony, is it recommended that I get a Sony receiver just to guarantee CEC will work? Are there any other receivers that you know will work with Sony TVs?

2) Anyone know how to get CEC to work with a HTPC? I did a lot of digging into this a few nights ago and the most I came up with is a USB box by RainShadow Technology that would use a seperate HDMI connection than my video card. I'm not sure it's worth $107 to get my computer to wake up the TV and receiver but it's the only thing out there.

Last edited:
Curses! My small TV stand strikes again! The space I have to put a receiver can only accomodate something 5" tall or less. Total available space is 17.5" x 15.5" x 5" (W x L x H). There was one receiver mentioned to me a few times before that probably would fit in that space, Tweak City Audio Gizmo v1.0M / WAF-1 Package, but I'd be interested in a few alternatives as I'm not a big fan of the cherry-red wood finish.

If I had more space, I would have gone with the Sony STR-DH510 simply because I can get it at a local store instead of via the internet, and because it has Bravia Sync. If only manufacturers would make smaller A/V equipment.

Have you considered an analog solution? You might be able to find something older that is only designed for 2 channels for a real bargain on ebay/craigslist.

Forget I asked. I've got a lot of searching and thinking to do. I'll either have to settle for the best of the worst HTIB, or expand my budget to almost twice what i was hoping for. I made the same mistake when I asked before, too. If I remember corectly, half-way decent components each costs about $200+ each so for two speakers, a sub, and a receiver I should be looking at around $800. If I have any specific questions I can't find answers too, I'll try asking again.

Back