looking for spam software

teststrips

Limp Gawd
I'm now up to well over 120 e-mail messages a day... most of it is spam. I've actually got carried away and killed good e-mails too many times.

After 3 days away and over 400 mails to delete I finally decided I'm gonna do something about it.

What are you guys using for spam protection? Did you pay for a program, or are any of the free programs any good?

Thanks

I use PocoMail, and get maybe one piece of spam a month...if that. It isn't free, but it's worth a look. There is a free trial period.

I believe that Poco may be the most secure mail client around. Not only does it have spam filters, it can learn as you delete what it misses. If that isn't enough, you can easily write scripts to filter, and route other mail. I never see my wife's mail, for example. It is routed to her workstation. It is extremely configurable, too. It is easy to learn, and best of all, it is very small, like the name suggests.

I have SpamAssassin on the server, and Mozilla Thunderbird's default junk mail filtering system on the app end. Cuts mine from about 150 a day to about 3, and SA is much higher than normal as I've got other people with accounts and I delete anything SA flags before it hits a mailbox.

lomn75 said:
I have SpamAssassin on the server, and Mozilla Thunderbird's default junk mail filtering system on the app end. Cuts mine from about 150 a day to about 3, and SA is much higher than normal as I've got other people with accounts and I delete anything SA flags before it hits a mailbox.
How do you train the server then? What about false positives?

That's somewhat of a dangerous route to take, even with spamassassin 3.0. But more than that, the bayes database needs manual training to be as effective as it can be. And the best way to do that is to capture actual spam that you receive on your server and use that to train it.

sorry to bring back an old topic. I tried out spamfigher for awhile, but am now removing it. It causes Outlook express to crash about every 5 times opened. I'm looking for another solution. PocoMail isn't free... and I just don't know that I want to pay for a spam solution, and everything I've seen on SpamAssassin makes me believe that it's only a linux thing...

if there aren't any other free options, has anyone seen any roundups of spam software so I could at least make sure I'm getting the best product for my [H]ard earned $$$$$$

Back