looking for some Vista64 software reccomendations

tsonka

Limp Gawd
Well I found CCleaner which is free and preforms both functions. Still though, if anyoen has found may x64 software that works well Id liek to hear about it

Be careful with registry "cleaners". Most of the ones I have used (even expensive ones) do more long term damage than good if you are not very careful.

CCleaner will fill your requirements nicely.

The amazing thing these days is that Joe Average, consumer that happens to own a computer, still finds himself suckered in by the bullshit marketing when he's out looking for PC software. He sees a box that makes some kind of wild statement about virus infections, or spyware infections, or anything at all, and believes the claims that the software maker prints on the box.

Realistically, and I've proven this in testing myself so take it or leave it, people just don't need all that crap. I have created a virtual machine in the past, with the following installed:

- IE7
- IE7Pro, which adds more to the vanilla IE7 for spyware/malware protection
- NOD32 v2.70, haven't upgraded to 3.0 yet because I just don't need to
- XP Pro SP2 with the latest updates (this test was done back in July 2007)
- CCleaner (as of July 2007)

That's it. I spent 2 days using that VM exclusively, full screen, as though it were my normal OS. I went to sites that are highly recommended that you not visit - sites that are known to cause issues, sites that are on multiple security lists as risky or outright dangerous to Windows machines because of malware, code hacks, exploits, etc.

After 2 days of surfing, and not noticing a damned thing out of the ordinary except for 7 alerts from NOD32 that something was trying to infect the machine (VM, even), I finally ran CCleaner and cleaned out the IE7 cache among other things. NOD32 never allowed anything to infect the VM, CCleaner never noted anything unusual, and afterwards I hit Housecall to check for anything weird.

Still clean.

So I don't know why people believe the hype printed on boxes in computer software sections of computer and retail stores. 98% of the so-called "protection software" on store shelves is absolute rubbish and shouldn't have been pressed onto a CD or DVD in the first place. NOD32 is the king, truly, and one of the only pieces of software I've seen on retail shelves that I point to and will say "That is worth the money. The other 726 boxes around it are useless."

The best way to guarantee someone will take action is to make them afraid, and that's exactly what the paranoia and marketing on those software boxes does. Makes people afraid, so they buy. Sad it works that way, but maybe someday people will actually learn something about computers for a change.

Nah... I guess not.

The amazing thing is, I have found the same results in testing as you bbz, but at the same time I get machines from people all the time that are trashed with spyware and viruses.

I have no idea how they do it, considering I have gone to "bad" sites to test the same theory as you and have no issues.

I guess its just them clicking accept to everything and giving full rights to any piece of software that comes along :eek:

and then people complain about Vista asking you to do system tasks...:rolleyes: I think its a good thing as its one more reminder in your face to slow down the clicking spree and pay attention that the shit is going to hit the fan if you accept a virus onto your PC...

have to agree with bbz and grentz.

fairly amazing the amount of crap the " clicking sprees " will cause ... LOL Grentz..love that, gonna use it!

but myself, NOD32 does it all, and knock on wood, have had zero invasions. Well maybe ninja NSA intrusions /shrug :eek:

But the central point is accurate; FEAR is the tool of choice to control, to sell, to invade. Most web advertised reg tols, anti spyware, etc, are themselves malware. :mad:

bastards. They are going to ruin the internet, give the gov reason to clamp it down.

and to the OP:

I am running Vista 64 for about 2 weeks now. had a license for NOD32, so I did the free upgarde to ver 3.0 for 64 bit os's. Beyond that, avoid all the extra shit. Its the old school mentality dateing back to win98+ that we still need all that shit. only stuff I run of a tool nature is Raxco Perfect disc for defrag, Spinrite 6.0 for HDD maitenance, GoodSynch for synching my data drive to a external once in a while for back up, and NOD32 ( err..but its a 64 bit version now.LOL )

CCleaner is great, and works very well. I use the portable version, and run it off my PortableApps.com enabled USB Flash Drive.

Back