Looking for some pricing help with an older machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Apathy

Gawd
I am looking to start a fund for my new build, and I want to get rid of this old machine. Thinking of selling it all together to a friend of mine, but I want to make sure that I get the pricing right first. I've done some searching around and found prices for some of the parts, but I can't find prices for everything. I would really appreciate it if someone could eyeball this setup and tell me what they think its worth, or if they could break it down piece by piece, that'd be really helpful.

So far I think it'd cost about $400 - $600 to put together today. Maybe even less? I originally paid about $1000 for this machine in late november 2004.
I'll put in what I think each part is worth based on some google searches.

$45 AMD 64 3500+ ~2.2GHZ
$35 Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu Copper
$50 Asus A8V Deluxe
$40 Enermax 470 Noisetaker PSU
$15 Sony Internal 16X DVD+/-RW / Dual Layer
$35 Seagate 120GB Barracuda
$50 Western Digital 250GB
$70 Kingston 2GB PC3200 DDR400 4x512)
$50 BFG 6800 OC 128MB
$40 NEC CRT 18"
$75 M-Audio Revolution 7.1
$50 Aerocool Jet Case
$25 Saitek Eclipse Keyboard
$20 Windows XP

Total = $605

So if i charged $500 for this, would that be asking too much... its 4 or 5 year old hardware, seems like a lot for stuff that old. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
From the GenHard FAQ...
How much can I get for [my computer/my parts]?

Price checks are not allowed in General [H]ardware; the only place you could get a price check at the [H] is through the General Mayhem forum.

The "easy way" to determine your computer's/part's/parts' resell value is take 10%-40% off its current retail value, based on its age, its condition, whether or not it has all of its accessories (including packaging materials and paperwork), and other factors (e.g., where it was used at, whether or not it was overclocked, the time left on its warranty).

If you want a more "accurate" estimate, check out what the used computer/part is selling for elsewhere. Check out eBay, Craigslist, and forums (like here) where members sell and trade their used parts. As a warning though: don't expect a huge profit in reselling your part, as many people want a huge discount on used parts.

For $500, you could build a brand new system that will run circles around the specs you listed. ;) So don't forget to take that into account. That DDR Ram will probably be the top earner of the lot, or maybe XP.

From the GenHard FAQ...

[...]

For $500, you could build a brand new system that will run circles around the specs you listed. ;)...

Woops! wasnt sure about the P/C thing. And yea, you are absolutely right. I guess maybe asking $300 from my buddy would be fair enough. If someone wants to lock this, its cool with me. Sorry for posting a price check here!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back