Looking for some ideas

dolorousdave

Limp Gawd
Suppose I could get my hands on an Apple bladeserver, probably a powerpc model. Anything cool I could do with it at home?

Would make a lot of noise and G5s + folding = pretty dismal. Sure every point counts but it's your power bill in the end and there are far more efficient routes.

Bury it in a closet and hook up some storage drives to it? Network appliance?

Hrm, suppose I could do something like that. Guess it wouldn't be any good as a media server?

The problem is, I haven't booted one up yet--I'm guessing they might be really loud. Unless there's something totally rad I could do, I'm not entirely sure where I'd put it so that it wouldn't drive my wife crazy.

PPC xserve. Ick, Myself I would use it for scrap or as a target. But I guess if you want to use it for storage a storage server you can.

Forget it to be honest. For storage it would use too much power, and for anything else it would be too slow.

Uses for that computer...

1. Museam piece
2. Boat Anchor
3. Ballast for a hot air balloon
4. Height booster for a short person
5. Computer for a toothless hillbilly
6. CPU Brain in an awesome Leprechaun detection device
7. Weight for a press in your own personal herbarium

As others have suggested, seriously just get a Mac Mini Server. It will literally be faster, and next to whisper quiet. They make crazy good media servers.

Get one with dual SSD's (install 'em yourself for savings) and for additional space an external Thunderbolt array, and the whole machine will scream. Less expensive option is one SSD for boot, and a 1TB+ secondary drive.

Back