• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for some good speakers.

Dock Ellis

Limp Gawd
Joined
Mar 23, 2011
Messages
172
I've been thinking about getting some Logitech Z623's since they're pretty much just straight up computer speakers and I can get decent sound without buying a sound card. However, I've also been reading that any "computer speakers" are complete crap. I'm just looking for some suggestions on a good set of speakers, like a 5.1 or 2.1 set. Also are there any stores where I can go and actually listen to the speakers myself, like Microcenter or something? I'll be using the speakers to listen to music primarily and some gaming.
 
Microcenter has a good online selection but in store might be a different story.

Buy & return if you're not satisfied, 14 day return by me in NJ.

Check out Corsairs SP2500 2.1. That might fit your needs.
Logitechs z5500 if you want a pretty nice 5.1 setup.

Some people here love the Swan M50W 2.1
 
I was wondering if you can actually listen to the speakers in the store though, like if they're on display. Also, I like the Corsairs but they're a little out of my price range. Same with the Swans.
 
what will be driving the speakers? Budget?
Right now, yeah. I think I'm going to start by buying a good sound card, and then buy an entry-level stereo receiver I'm just going to grab stuff when I have the money because after doing some reading I've realized that most "computer speakers" are crap anyway.
 
Microcenter, Bestbuy, 6th ave, circuit city, etc all have listening stations but what they offer online, might not be on display in store to hear.

that's why i suggest buy and return if not satisfied.
 
The sticking point is going to be a decent .1 on that kind of budget.

The standard hi-fi-ish on the cheap set-up is a t-amp, such as: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-380 ~$45
and a pair of Dayton Audio B652: http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?Partnumber=300-652 ~$35
or:
A step-up speaker-wise are the Insignia NS-B2111: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insigni...air)/7705307.p?id=1138085354138&skuId=7705307 ~$90 (a better deal at the ~$50 sale price in the past/the employee discount, but worth a listen in the store)

Beyond that, the world of bookshelves speakers is your oyster. I'm currently being tempted by the Arx A1: http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php/p/arx-a1/products_id/65 I love the clarity of planar headphones, so a planar tweeter on the relative cheap is attractive.

For a sub, just about anything less than an Emotiva Ultra 10 (~$330) or HSU STF-1 (~$300) is going to be more or less a one-note-wonder. Polk PSW10 (~$90), BIC F12 (<$180), Lava LSP08 (~$200), various Parts Express Daytons will add some thump to movies, but not a lot dynamically to music. You may be best served grabbing the best bookshelves you can afford and then saving for a sub if you feel you're missing out.

Then you grab any connectors/speaker wire (16~14 gauge) from Monoprice.com and you're off.
 
Last edited:
Swan M10s if on budget, Swan M50s if you can afford.
Have you had any personal experience with the M10s? I don't mean to question your credibility, its just that I often see mixed opinions regarding the M10s on these forums; some people swear by them as the best in the ~$100 bracket whereas others say that they are crappy and unreliable. Reading this forum makes me head hurt sometimes.
 
Back
Top