Looking for some display suggestions

omniscence

[H]ard|Gawd
I plan to replace my two SyncMaster 940BF 19" displays I used for around 8 years. While I planned to get a single 30" display I delayed that purchase because of several reports of sparkling ag coating issues. At first I thought that that would not be an issue for me, but I recently bought an AW2310 for gaming (where it performs great) and also tried to use that for work. The AW2310 has a really strong ag coating, I never noticed that on a display before and it really bothers me if I have to look at white backgrounds for several hours.

At work I chose a T260HD which was at that time the only 1920x1200 monitor within the available budget. Monitors are not considered very important pieces of hardware by most colleagues, so most of them use the cheapest 16:9 monitors available. And the T260HD performs great for its price. But for home use I just cannot stand such a TV like display with a black glossy broad frame and unmovable stand.

While I would really prefer a 30", I would rather not get anything with a strong sparkle effect like the Alienware has. So I would like to know if someone was in the same situation and came up with a perfect choice for a display. I do not care about gaming on that display as I have the Alienware and I also do not care about color accuracy, as long as there is no strong uniformity issues. What I do not like is backlight bleed however and humming/buzzing noises from any device.

Maybe there is someone who has the AW2310 and one of the available 30" displays to compare the ag coating on these. I also considered the NEC PA241W and PA271W, but they may end up with the same coating as the Dells for example and I do not really need that fuzzy color calibration stuff and perfect accuracy. I just want grain-les whites.

Thanks in advance!

Go for the Samsung F2380 for now (it's cheap) and then upgrade in the future when some new, bigger PVA panels come along. These new BenQ MVA screens could also be an option, they're actually semi-glossy.

I don't think anyone in here knows with 100% certainity, but some users believe that LG uses the exact same coating for all their IPS panels manufactured now. I have no idea myself, don't have experience with that many monitors plus it's hard to remember exactly how the coating is even when you have two IPS monitors close to each other. They look pretty much identical, but there might be a difference... I think it's very hard to tell when the difference is small or non-existent. Can't line them up right next to each other since they're on different tables. :eek:

Actually we have three new Benq BL2400PT (with LED backlight and VA panel) in the department. I did just take a quick glimpse at them, but did not consider them for personal use because of the 16:9 format, which the suggested F2380 also has. The Benqs show a strong color shift depending on viewing angle no better that most TN displays I have seen. Also on the bottom edge one can see the backlight LEDs somehoew bleeding through (like a wave pattern). They really are semi glossy, but much weaker than for example cheap laptops and netbooks. I think for office use this is tolerable.

I read here that PVA panels do not have an absolute static picture. I could not see this effect on the Benqs. Maybe someone can comment on this? If this would only be 16:10 displays... Now that I can directly compare 16:9 and 16:10, I find 16:10 so much better. Especially now that more and more applications adopting some sort of ribbon style menu bars, which take away nearly 100 pixels from the vertical resolution. So to anyone who says 16:9 is better than 16:10... they should really try the latter. I would nearly spend twice as much to get a proper 16:10 screen. The Eizo S2433W does look like a nice high-quality display. Somebody here who owns one and can comment on picture quality?

Last edited:
Back