Looking for some case suggestions

Daynja

Weaksauce
I'm building a new computer and I'm really having trouble with the case. Here are the things I really need:

1. at least 5 internal 3.5" bays. I've looked into enclosures that fit into 5.25" bays, but I really don't want/need hotswap, just a place to put hard drives with proper cooling.

2. must have really good cooling. Ideally 120mm fans in front, rear and side, but smaller fans wouldn't be a deal killer.

3. has to fit some longer PCI/PCIe cards. My current RAID card is about as long as an ATX motherboard, and I will continue to use this. I will also be getting an nvidia 8800 GTS. I know the GTX has some length issues, and it's too expensive anyway.

4. I would really like to keep it at $200 or less.

5. I don't like big doors that cover up access to the front of the case.

here is my current setup. I will be keeping the hard drives and RAID card. As you can see I had some length issues so I had to leave one spot empty. Please mock me for this setup, but then give me some good suggestions for my next computer.

IMG_1126%20(Small).jpg

Here are some I'm considering:

LIAN LI PC-60BPLUSII
Hard drives are mounted vertically, so I really hope PCI card length isn't an issue, because then I wouldn't be able to fit any hard drives in there.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811112100

iStarUSA S-8/350SATA
I know I wasn't leaning towards a hot swap enclosure, but this one is still pretty cheap. Card length probably won't be an issue. My only problem is that the enclosure doesn't seem to have very good cooling. If I went with this one, I would probably try to screw a fan onto the side panel.
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16811165044

LIAN LI PC-V1000BPlus II
A little spendy, but I don't think there would be any fitment issues. Plenty of big fans. I'm not sure how I feel about the upside down motherboard thing. I've heard some negative things, but other than being different, I don't see how it would be a problem. The only other problem is I'm pretty sure my parallel ATA cables wouldn't reach that far, but that can be solved.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112058

Any comments about these or other cases would really be appreciated.

have you considered the Antec 900? It fits almost all of what your asking and right now is only $65 at compusa. Seems to have a LOT of fan spots in it.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811233002

they make a newer version that has swappable side panels, 1 with mesh, 1 with window.

heres mine. theres a 120mm suckhole in the window now.

87225711_91d3d7c584.jpg

the antec 900 is $89 on the compusa website, but i would say $65 would be about right. its a plain, cheaply made thin sheet metal case. people have been actually buying this for $155 plus about $16 shipping from newegg for months. like they say, never underestimate the american consumer.
i had that lian li case (pc60b) you mentioned several years ago when it still had 2x80mm fans intake. great case, will last you forever. mine is still around and after at least 15 or so builds, still looks great and is in perfect shape. if you look around you might be able to find it for around $110.

yeah, I bought that raid setup right when sata drives were becoming popular. Now I understand why SATA is better just for the cables. I've moved the PATA cables around a bit since that pic, but they really do hurt airflow.

Hopefully I will upgrade to a SATA RAID setup sometime soon, but for now this will have to do.

I have a Lian-Li V1000 and it's the best case I've ever owned.

Great airflow, more than enough room, and it looks sexy and professional at the same time (a rare combination in enthusiast cases). No front door panel crap or lights or any other bling bling. Just polished aluminum .

It is also MUCH easier to add/remove hardware with this case. It has spring-loaded thumbscrews to remove the side panels which will save you a lot of hassel.

It's expensive (around $200), but it's worth it.

Back