Looking for software to sort MP3's by Genre

Chevy-SS

Limp Gawd
Like most folks, I've got thousands of MP3's. Most of them were ripped from CD's, but there are plenty of singles kicking around.

I am trying to find a program that can search through all of my songs by genre, and then I can take that list and burn it to a thumb drive and play in my car.

Does anyone have a recommendation??? Thanks for any help. :cool:

PS - I searched for this topic, but last postings were about four years old.

-

Basically every audio player out there? I'm sure most would recommend foobar2000.. unless you mean you don't have genre tags and need them added, in which case Mp3Tag would also help.

Basically every audio player out there? I'm sure most would recommend foobar2000.. unless you mean you don't have genre tags and need them added, in which case Mp3Tag would also help.

I'm a noob at this. I didn't realize that each MP3 would need a genre tag. I was hoping that the sorting software would simply read the title of each song and then classify it into a genre accordingly.

Are you saying it's best to use something like Mp3Tag (which I have, and use) to add genre tag to each song?

Many thanks..........

Assuming you know the genre, yes. If you don't and you want to automate adding it, something like MusicBrainz should help.

I played around with a number of tools that were supposed to auto set various fields but couldn't find one that worked well enough that I didn't have to go back and check them all anyway. This was several years back, though, and it's possible that they are much better now.

In the end, I just decided on my own set of naming rules and, using MP3Tag, just slogged my way through everything Given the variability of naming conventions, it was the only way that to get things set up in a consistent manner.

Basically the issue is that you're missing a lot of metadata that you're requesting software to sort it by. MP3Tag can batch edit metadata of your music files and then allow you to sort easily.

Basically the issue is that you're missing a lot of metadata that you're requesting software to sort it by. MP3Tag can batch edit metadata of your music files and then allow you to sort easily.

This kinda sounds like what I need.

Does MP3Tag do the batch edit automatically? That is, will it examine each song title and then search an online database to label each MP3 into the appropriate genre?

Many thanks. :D

I played around with a number of tools that were supposed to auto set various fields but couldn't find one that worked well enough that I didn't have to go back and check them all anyway. This was several years back, though, and it's possible that they are much better now.

In the end, I just decided on my own set of naming rules and, using MP3Tag, just slogged my way through everything Given the variability of naming conventions, it was the only way that to get things set up in a consistent manner.

Thanks for this info. If I have to slog my way through each MP3, well...... that's just not an option. I've got too many. And I probably don't even listen to 99%% of them. So I don't want to invest a lot of time into songs that I will never play.

Thanks again for reply. Truly appreciated!

Back