Looking for Small Business networking guide

todlerix

2[H]4U
Throughout the years I have come across a number of small network configurations and I'm wondering if anyone has a solid guide to share.

I've seen quite a few methods used; universal usernames and passwords throughout the network, secondary DNS being static'd to the pseudo server (workstation where the data is stored), mapped drives for networking applications "Z:\datafolder" but i've also seen "\\server\datafolder", i've seen batch files that delete and restore mapped network drives on start up. I'm just not quite sure which method is best, if anyone has a link to a guide that would be fantastic.

I've never seen anything like a general "guide"...you slowly accumulate things that you make as your practice as you go along and gain experience, and spend time doing different types of setups. Not all SMB networks are alike, often the networks are a bit customized to fit the line of business application being run. "Application driven networks".

Stuff like DNS, that's done as standard practice, if you have a Windows server running active directory (your domain controller) its IP address is the DNS server for all workstations, not the router, not the ISPs DNS servers, not something else...but it has to be the IP of the DC. Doing "Windows Server 101 class" is where you learn that one.

Mapped drives versus UNC paths...that's mostly just preference, but some applications that run from the server need to be run from a mapped drive letter. That's an old way of doing things, more and more applications these days will run from a UNC path..or just ODBC instance.

Experience, no college class for this stuff.

YeOlde is definately right. Might add that DC could forward DNS to OpenDNS, for extra security/control.

I use opendns and untangle at the office. friggin' slick.
In the very near future, we are going to be using the untangle paid services.

I use opendns and untangle at the office. friggin' slick.
In the very near future, we are going to be using the untangle paid services.

Is there a reason that you are using both? I am testing Untangle on a box right now, and currently using OpenDNS. I planned on moving our Internet filtering to Untangle, but is there a reason not to? Seems that they have better stats on Untangle but maybe I'm missing something?

I always use OpenDNS for DNS fowarding, even at the clients I have Untangle at.

OpenDNS is high availability DNS, and it adds a layer of security...blocking malware sites they have on their list.

Nothing wrong with an added layer of protection. Even if it's a 3rd or 4th layer. ;)

And these are 2x solutions that help protection you, without a performance loss on your network.

Back