Looking for simple NAS to backup servers and maybe 1-5 pcs. Thoughts?

dalearyous

[H]ard|Gawd
i am looking for a simple NAS solution to backup a server with multiple VMs running multiple OSs. i would also like it to backup a few machines on the network. speed is somewhat important but not really. i am mainly looking for redundancy. can anyone recommend a simple easy solution? and what software do people use to run the backups? i am usually in favor of image backups because they are super easy to restore if something happens and hard drive space isn't an issue at the moment.

i liked this as an option.

*edit*
right now the server is running RAID10 but that is not enough for peace of mind

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I'm a big fan of Synology. I have a DS1010+ for my vSphere lab and a DS1511 for backups and media.

looking for something reasonably priced! 2 bay model that can hold 2TB is more than enough for now

Synology makes two-bay boxes for a lot less but has the same feature set.

whats difference between DS211J and the DS211 ?

$100 price difference on newegg

You most likely want to something better than an ARM-platform even though they perform quite good for being "low-end". You should probably have a look at iSCSI if you want to run VMs with somewhat decent performance at least.
//Danne

QNAP is probably the NAS brand with the best virtualization support. They are more expensive, but in my mind worth every penny, especially for the vertical RAID expansion feature when you get into the 4 bay units. For pricing consideration I would start by looking at the QNAP 219+ and move upwards from there as needed.

Last edited:
Another vote fo the QNAP. Best iSCSI implementation of all small BYOD boxes.

You most likely want to something better than an ARM-platform even though they perform quite good for being "low-end". You should probably have a look at iSCSI if you want to run VMs with somewhat decent performance at least.
//Danne

No difference on performance with VMs (I'm assuming vSphere) between NFS and iSCSI. If it's Hyper-V that may be diff...I don't do Hyper-V.

It's also easier with NFS to just mount the same datastore you're using and move files on/off if needed. My entire lab setup is NFS. These small NAS boxes are that, NAS. To do iSCSI they put a binary blog on the filesystem which adds overhead.

I'm using the Cisco NSS series nas, for back up and VM datastore. No complaints. They just work.

recommendations for battery backup?

devices that will be attached: server, gateway, router, NAS, IDS, firewall, and thats it i think.

APC in whatever size you need. There are differences in brands. I have APC and CyberPower and the APC is a lot better.

I'm going to have to chime in and say get a basic PC and throw drives in it, and install FreeNAS. Been working wonders at the local community college I go to. Minimum fuss, and so far? Great reliability.

Another for QNAP, love it and it works really well. The only complaint that I could really lodge against it is that it takes FOREVER to (re)boot it if I upgrade the firmware. But that's not that often.

Be careful if you choose freenas. As long as your expectations are in line with that you want to do, you should be fine.

For me, I'm going to bide my time until FreeNAS 8.2

Back