looking for silent PSU 650-760W range

nethole

n00b
I'm currently looking at a Seasonic X750. That will handle if I ever do decide to do multiple video cards (assume twin frozr). What I'm really looking for is a system that will be silent. I don't want fan noise to disturb me or my music.

I'm looking for suggestions, I could handle a 650w since multiple video cards is likely just a pipedream anyways.

what's your average load?

most of the 80PLUS gold/silver/bronze etc, are pretty quiet. but if you're hitting 70% or more load, you'll start to hear fan noise.

so if you have a high load and still want to keep quiet, then aim for a PSU with a higher wattage rating.

It's not about % load as much as it is about heat generated. The more heat generated, the more fan noise generated to move the air to cool it down. Higher efficiency power supplies put out less heat.

Going along with that, if your PSU is mounted on the bottom of the case and drawing air from the bottom of the case its going to run cooler and quieter. The x-750 is a great choice for super quiet, the fan hardly ever needs to turn on and when it does I can't hear it.

I will echo what others have said, Seasonic or Corsair will always be my top pick. IMO your case fans, heatsink, gpu cooler, and case will be far more of an issue noise wise then most decent PSU units.

Pretty much what Tsumi said. High efficiency Gold/Plat + getting slightly higher W than you need.

Back