Looking for SFX without silent fan

Ej24

Gawd
I have a small, homemade, itx based network appliance. The 300w FSP brand power supply that came with the case is beginning to whine and buzz. I'm not really concerned about it not handling the load or spontaneously failing as the load is minuscule. It's only running a Xeon E3 with a 25w TDP on a board with integrated NIC's.

I'm more interested in getting something that's 80+ rated seeing as it's running 24/7. Modular doesn't matter for this. However I would like something with a fan that runs constantly. So many PSU's now have fans that don't spin below a certain load or temperature. Or is it possible to mod one of the ones with silent fans to just run the fan 24/7?

I was thinking about the 80+ bronze rated Silverstone ST30SF-V2 but it has a 'silent' running fan.

Anyone have any suggestions?

It's not hard to mod a fan to run constantly, you can get one of those cheap from China buck converters. Just remove the fan wires from the board, solder them to the buck converter and find some way to power the buck converter from the 12V rail. Then you just dial the fan speed down to the level you want.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/192091378431

If you got spare room inside the PSU, you can mount it internally with double sided tape.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
The ST30SF V2's fan does run constantly as it varies speed based on temperature. It's the ST30SF V1 that has a fan with semi-fanless mode in which it stops when temperature gets high enough.

The ST30SF V2's fan does run constantly as it varies speed based on temperature. It's the ST30SF V1 that has a fan with semi-fanless mode in which it stops when temperature gets high enough.

I totally forgot about this thread, until I noticed my router PSU buzzing and remembered I wanted to replace it. Tony Ou thanks for the info, I just ordered the ST30SF V2.

Back