• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for reliable internet access

Krisinu

n00b
Joined
Aug 8, 2008
Messages
30
Currently getting AT&T Mobile broadband at the office and using a router that accepts a broadband card to distribute the online access throughout the office. That costs $50/mo with connection quality to be desired. I would like to get DSL or cable which would be around 25-35/mo but more so have a reliable connection so that we will have confidence using other cost savings technologies that require a stable internet connection.

The reason we can't get DSL is that our location "is not within range" of a hub. Been told this many times even though our business neighbors have it. We're at the end of a dead end industrial park.

We don't have a cable line going to the business. They would either need to construct 1-2 new utility poles or cross our neighbors property, neighbor said it would be okay but cable company is afraid of liability in case property is sold.

Is there anything we can do to put some pressure on the cable company to construct those poles and connect us or make it more worth their while?

Are there any other options for internet access that would be more reliable?
 
can your phone company put in a data T1? It will probably be a lot more than you want to pay but it would be reliable. You could also look at satellite but speed isn't the best . . .
Posted via [H] Mobile Device
 
T1 would be best, but would be a bit more pricey. The plus side is that you could combine more voice lines with it in most cases as well if you put in T1 equipment.

DSL is limited on range and it can be as simple as your neighbor just gets it and you cant.

What cable company is it? That would probably help some as well. Usually if you are going to be buying enough services from them they will be more motivated, and if you will help to pay for some of the costs of putting in the line...not always feasible and in some cases better to just go T1 (comcast quoted over 100k to a business I worked for awhile back to run a new line....we went with dual T1 instead :p )
 
it's Cox Communications based in Rhode Island.

How much are we talking to install a T1, nearest poll is about 250ft. away. It's a small biz so it's hard to help them with the cost.
 
I just did a Cox install in Rhode Island last week. :D

If this is a business that depends on internet..why not pay the cable co to extend the line 'n poles? It's important to your business so should be a worthy little investment.
 
I wouldn't say we "depend" on the internet but it does help. My main goal is to start taking advantage of today's many web tools to make business more efficient and possibly cut costs but paying to install a new pole seems like it would result in a net loss overall at least in the short term (1-5 years?).
 
Last edited:
You really just need to talk to the companies. Prices vary a lot and by area and company.

Dont be afraid to let them compete with each others offers either :D
 
How much are we talking to install a T1, nearest poll is about 250ft. away. It's a small biz so it's hard to help them with the cost.

T1 install varies from one vendor to the other, some will install it for free. The monthly cost is going to be the shocker, however. You're probably looking at $200-400/month for a T1 line. Sometimes they'll go for $150 if you bundle other services, like phone for instance.
 
it's Cox Communications based in Rhode Island.

How much are we talking to install a T1, nearest poll is about 250ft. away. It's a small biz so it's hard to help them with the cost.
Cox?

Opt for dial-up instead.
 
Cox rep:
unfortunelty even with the 3 telephone lines and data on a 5yr term, that would only bring approx $6,900 in revenue over the course of the contract and the build cost is over $12,000.

Not sure where to go from here
 
Hack down some trees and put up your own poles! Then just have them wire those suckers up! Problem solved.

In all reality, it sounds like the business needs to move or something. I'm also surprised that they won't run the lines underground (unless there's some kind of zoning that won't permit that). Shit, I'd dig a trench if it meant I could have better broadband.
 
Mobile broadband will kill you. I'm struggling to make it work for 4 people with only 1 power use, and you're looking to connect an entire business? Eesh. Get even two people downloading something and your ping goes straight to hell.
 
The mobile broadband is definitely not ideal as the main connection. I've been experiencing days of multiple disconnects for months although I've heard many complains of that happening to people with Linksys routers; I might consider changing to a Cradlepoint if I can find one that still accepts a DHCP interface card.

Well the cable company seems to be out. I will revert to pestering the phone companies again. I tried Verizon, the rep said service not available in my area (although the buildings next door can get DSL) and a T1 would be $400/mo.
 
Hey, does that broadband card have a connection for an external antenna? I was just thinking about that. About a year ago we setup these cellular cards in some Cisco 2811 routers for backup internet access in the event of a T1 failure and we got crappy speeds until we hooked up a bigger antenna and moved it about 20 feet from the closet to near a window. You might also try moving the router to somewhere else if that is an option...
 
The mobile broadband is definitely not ideal as the main connection. I've been experiencing days of multiple disconnects for months although I've heard many complains of that happening to people with Linksys routers; I might consider changing to a Cradlepoint if I can find one that still accepts a DHCP interface card.

Well the cable company seems to be out. I will revert to pestering the phone companies again. I tried Verizon, the rep said service not available in my area (although the buildings next door can get DSL) and a T1 would be $400/mo.

I have a Cradlepoint and still get fairly frequent disconnects. I have a large antenna attached to my card. Helps speed but not reliability.
 
There was a wireless T-1 provider that I was looking at, to provide internet to a resort client of mine on the west end of an island just off of Rhode Island/Connecticut corner....TowerStream.
I don't know what area of Rhode Island you're in, you may want to check with them and another one or two mentioned in this link...Pipeline. Actually there's quite a few on the following link you may want to call 'n check on.
http://www.onelasvegas.com/wireless/RI.html
 
Actually I'm in Connecticut, just north of Hartford, but thanks ofr that link, I'm looking at the providers for connecticut. Seems to be a bunch and I will contact many of them to see if there's any options.

Wireless T1... sounds expensive as well. I thought our limit would be $70/mo for something but I'll look at what they provide.
 
Ahh...my colleague spent last night/today up in Bloomfield resurrecting a VMWare server for a jet engine manu/repair plant. He's up there almost weekly for various stuff.

I spent several years doing the WAN for the South Windsor school system. Oh the late afternoons spent at Kahoots! :D
 
Back
Top