• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for Recommendations

nioin3k

n00b
Joined
Jul 22, 2007
Messages
9
TLDR:

Looking for suggestions for general music speakers and a sound card for my computer. Prefer high volume, decent quality. Price range is 300-900~ Thanks!

Long version:

My Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1's amp failed a couple months ago, and I have tried to fix it myself, but without any luck. I'm not sure if it's worth fixing, considering only the amp is broken - but I'm also interested in upgrading. I should mention that I have tried finding an amp replacement on ebay, etc.

In any case, they speakers will be connected to my computer the majority of the time, and generally used for music, with an occasional game or two.

I have been looking into Studio Monitors, receivers, and sound cards - but I don't know much about how this set up works, and if it's for me. After all, it is an expensive and more complicated option.

Some things I've been looking at:
KRK Rokit 6
AVR-589
ASUS Xonar Essence STX

Adds up to a hefty 900 bucks!
Unfortunately, as I said, I don't know if this is all I need, if they work together, or exactly how they work.

I have also thought about just replacing my system with a similar one, which would be a much cheaper 300 bucks: (Logitech Z-5500 5.1 shown here - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16836121120) Although I probably would buy a new soundcard too!

So, please let me know what you think.

I appreciate any help at all. Thank you for taking a look.
 
Get a Denon 589 receiver. Run digital out of you mobo or get a X-Fi titanium(not sure if you need that really, I just had one left over so I use it) and run optical out(that's a digital audio cable) and add speakers. What speakers depends on your budget. Best to get two killer speakers than 5 ok ones. There is a payoff there. I got Stax headspeakers (big ugly weird headphones) instead of speakers. Just easier for me.

Either way, it will KILL that old Klipsch 5.1.
 
Thank you for your post =) Very good information!

I'm sorry to ask more questions but I'm a little confused.

My motherboard (EVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI ATX Intel) has a S/PDIF output, 8-channel audio, but I don't think it offers digital audio? Maybe I'm wrong.

Will S/PDIF work with two studio monitors (along with a receiver), like the KRK R6? I'm also not sure if my mobo only offers 2.1 audio, but I suppose that would be enough for two speakers.

I could always expand from my two speakers to 5.1-7.1 with a better sound card, right?

Also - is a sub-woofer important with the KRK R6, or would they still sound good without?

Thank you so much for your help, you're a life saver! I'll try to help out other people in other sections of the forum.
 
Back
Top