• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Looking for recommendations for depth-limited case

Surly73

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 19, 2007
Messages
1,782
This thread is related to my "budget case" thread. I can either shop for a budget case for my second rig, or upgrade my main rig's space-constrained case and use my current main case on the secondary.

I'm trying to get this finalized while ++++ still has a $4.99 flat shipping sale within Canada.

The biggest challenge for my main rig is that it resides in an enclosed space in a large, solid hardwood desk. The desk is going nowhere any time soon, but was designed in the days of baby-AT form factor. I'm limited to around 16.5" of depth (front/back) and need to handle mid-range 9" class GPUs and full ATX mobo. I just recently moved from GTX260 to GTX560Ti which is shorter, but I don't know what the next upgrade will be.

I currently use a 2006 Antec NSK4400
antec-nsk4400-atx-1-india.jpg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129012

This case fits the bill quite nicely - it handles my GPUs, it fits in the desk, it has enough bays, doesn't have any blinkin' lights and seems to work OK. Some things on the shopping list:

- must be < ~16.5" deep
- 5.25" devices:
---- 5.25" Optiarc AD-7240S
- 3.5" devices:
---- 3.5" multi-card reader
---- 3.5" Ineo 2.5" SATA hot swap bay
---- WDC Black FAEX (internal)
- 2.5" devices:
---- Intel X25-M G2 (internal in a 3.5" adapter)
- handle a mid-range enthusiast GPU - 9" class was my guideline
- should handle the height of some kind of non-extreme third party CPU cooler, like AC Freezer 7Pro v2
- 120mm or larger fans
- would be nice to have a real 2.5" slot for the SSD

I've noticed that some cases I'm looking at have no 3.5" external bays, presumably from the death of the floppy. Unfortunately, I have two 3.5" external devices that I use. I know adapters can be bought, but up here I don't think they're that common and will definitely add to the bottom line significantly as a percentage.
 
Its expensive, but the lian li x500 should be one of the shallowest cases out there, as the drive bays are above the mobo, not in front of it.
 
Back
Top