Looking for recommendations for an XM-Ready receiver.

Blitzrommel

2[H]4U
I was about to get the Onkyo TX-8511 as I've heard great things about it, but realized it's missing one crucial feature that I wanted -- I'd like it to be XM Ready. Any recommendations? :) I'd like to keep the price under $300. Other than that, I have no real requirements (I'm not an AVID music listener, more like a casual listener who plans on using it for various things like CDs and XM Radio)

Well, I guess you could always get a stand-alone XM device and just have it's audio outs hooked into the audio in of your receiver. You wouldn't be able to control the XM channels with the receiver but I'm sure you could get over that.

I actually thought of that, getting a Roady or something. That wouldn't bother me too much, but after mentioning it to my fiancee, she said it'd bug the hell out of her. :( Her approval's critical in the purchasing decision as to avoid her wrath. hehe

Not very many choices for that price range but I'd look no further than these few models here from Denon. They'll give you best quality for your money and it's what you're looking for at the price you're willing to spend.

You can also find these cheaper than the suggested retail at some online e-tailers if you take a look, I'm sure of it. You can use the compare feature to take a look at what the differences are between each of them and then decide what is best for you.

Best of luck ;)

$299.00 Suggested Retail
Denon AVR-587

$399.00 Suggested Retail
Denon AVR-687

$329.00 Suggested Retail
Denon AVR-1507

$449.00 Suggested Retail
Denon AVR-1707

Those are actually feasable. I mean, if I wanna be able to use this with my HDTV, I suppose I oughta pony up a LITTLE more... I'd be restricted to Component video, but meh, the best my TV's got is DVI anyway. Are Denons hard to set up? I've read a few reviews that mention that in general, Denon receivers are less user-friendly. I'm relatively new to A/V so hopefully that wouldn't be a problem

I only have two rather junky Sony speakers right now from my high school days, but I'd certainly pony up for a set of 7.1 speakers when I could. Would it be feasable to use my crummy speakers for the time being?

I suppose I should explain my setting right now. Until I move into my new house, this receiver wouldn't be used for anything but my office. So anything right now would really be an overkill; I have my iPod, two PCs, and DVD player as inputs on a relatively small 20" TV. Once I move in my new place, it would be for my HDTV, as well as XM Radio. For a short while I'd be using my crappy pair of sony speakers until I get more money for a nicer 7.1 setup... I do have very sensitive hearing, so I would really want to pick a good set out.

So why now you may ask? Christmas. :)

Personally I'd step up a few notches and pick a better receiver with more inputs, as this will help to future proof your purchase. In fact if you need to wait a bit to get some more money saved towards the purchase I would say do that. I know you might want it for christmas but if it's not a must have gift or purchase then I'd save for a better one.

The receiver is basically the back bone in your system, the most important piece if you ask me as basically everything I have runs through mine. If you get a nicer unit it will last you longer, have better/more inputs so you don't have to buy switchers or heaven forbid plug and unplug like some people that I know. :rolleyes:

Plus most tv's don't have but a couple of HDMI/DVI connections and maybe 1/2 component max and if you start to add hdd/blueray dvd player/s in the future, PS3/Xbox360 or any other high end components then you'll want the best picture and sound for all of them. Plus your inputs will start to fill up quickly and the better receiver will solve your problems.

You can use your sony's for now if you decide to go ahead and pic up a receiver now, but I'd be sure to check the spec's on them b/c some older speakers were of a different ohm lvl so you might run into an issue there, not sure? As far as setup goes on the denon receivers, I personally don't think their harder than say an HK,Yamaha,Onkyo, or other higher end receivers.

Of course they'll be a learning curve with anything but nothing a little time,patience and combing through the manual won't solve. Just in case you didn't notice, some of the models a few levels up had Ipod connections on the front/back as well. That would probably come in handy since you have an Ipod and your fiance' might enjoy that feature as well.

Have anymore questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help out. Enjoy the holidays and best of luck with your marriage. ;)

If you're really looking for something to just hold you over for a yr or so and don't plan on upgrading tv's really soon then I would give these two a look. Once again I'm sure you can find these cheaper at an online e-tailer.

Complete 5.1 Setup for $549.00 Suggested Retail
Denon DHT-487XP

Complete 5.1 Setup for $699.00 with nice dvd player with HDMI output and nicer receiver.
Denon DHT-487DV

Best of luck

OP have you considered a refurbished receiver yet? Refurbished receivers carry little to no stigma with most audiophiles, and is often used as a way of maximizing the dollar.

Here's a few places that carry warrantied onkyo refurbs, some with XM built in:
http://www.accessories4less.com/cgi-bin/category/HomeAudio
http://www.shoponkyo.com/products.cfm?group_id=1
Ebay, read the descriptions carefully and look for an "authorized onkyo" dealer.

Personally i say that you spend a little less on your receiver for now because everyone and their mom will be looking to upgrade to hdmi receivers after they've upgraded and standardized the interface (ver 1.3 i believe). As for speakers: if your hearing is that good and discriminating then i'd suggest you stay away from most htib setups and do a little research at avsforum before you plunk down the cash.

Just my 2c

I'd try to find a receiver with HDMI inputs as well b/c that will help with future trends a little bit. Pioneer has the 1016TX or something like that for close to what you were thinking...

XM

If audio quality is of any concern to you, forgo XM as they compress the living crap out of most channels save for the todays top 20 crap. I have XM in my car but after the three months trial is up, I sure as hell am not paying for it. No way.

Back