Looking for RAID5 solution in a Dell PE2950ii

New guy here. My name is Joe. I am currently looking for a RAID add-on card compatible with a Dell Poweredge 2950ii server. I would like an eight port solution that will see any size drive. I am looking at either 6x10TB or 8x8TB in a RAID5 configuration.

I see some options out there, but none list max drive size, save for the Perc 5/I that is with the server, and it has a max drive capacity of 2TB.

Thanks, y'all!

Last edited:
Get you one of the refurb H700 controllers. May require new reverse mini sas cables to the backplane but those are like 15 bucks a pop.

Yeah, I discovered the PE710 has the H700 in it. Costs a little more, but better CPUs, too. For $180, the 710 with H700 is a no brainer. Now to figure out how to expand from just six drives to probably ten.

Do yourself a favor anytime you are using multi terabyte spinning disks... Go with a double parity solution if uptime is important (and of course have up to date backups)

I was unaware of such a thing. A little research goes a long ways here. Thank you. Looks like RAID6 it is. One more question then...what of these so called "expanders" so that the controller can have more than just the six drives?

Back