Looking for PCI tv tuner

califas

n00b
Joined
Dec 8, 2008
Messages
6
Looking for a PCI tv tuner for OTA viewing.

specs

Dell 400SC
XPP
P4 2.8ghz
3gb ram
Radeon 9600 AGP video card

HVR-1600

Asus PHC3-100

AVerMedia A180

I couldn't find any info on the Asus card but the specs and reviews look good. Not looking for the most features but something with good video quality and ease of installation.

Suggestions?
 
I use an ATI hdtv wonder. I've had it about 3 years now (so should be dirt cheap), works great in Vista. It also came with a remote that I like as you can program a lot of the buttons, though you have to install a separate driver that doesn't come with the card or vista to get the remote to work (x10). I just run it through Vista Media Center. To get the card to work you just put it in and Vista auto detects it, then run VMC and set the channels up.

Getting it working in XP wasn't very difficult either, just download all the drivers from the ATI site and install in the order they are on the site and it works through ATI's TV app (it also has an HTPC front end). Again, the remote required the x10 driver install (which isn't documented in the software anywhere but a quick search on rage3d found the problem). Image quality is good and it's not too CPU hungry.

I'm not sure how it compares to the others but the main benefit is that it should be dirt cheap at this point.
 
I have the HVR-1600 and it's just OK. I have a VistaView pci card that is better at picking up OTA digital stations. With the 1600 you can use the analog and digital portions of the card at the same time, if that's something you want to do. The Avermedia cannot use the analog and digital at the same time. I don't know anything about the ASUS. You might want to try the VistaView DA-1in1-I card. I would have taken my Hauppage out, but for some reason the analog portion of the VistaView card is not working correctly in SageTV. I put it in my son's MCE PC and it worked fine there. After putting it back in my HTPC, I use the Hauppage for analog and the VistaView for digital.
 
Back
Top