Looking for opinions/suggestions on case for HTPC

Abula

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a bunch of pc components that are left over builds that i want to put in use in HTPC,

CPU: Intel Core i3-2120
CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 3
MOBO: Intel DQ67SWB3
GPU: Sparkle GeForce GTS 450
HDD: Crucial M4 64GB
Memory: G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB
Fans: Scythe Kama FLEX PWM 120 SA1225FDB12H-P (have 8 that i didnt use on the server build).

On the PSU im stil deciding between Seasonic X-560 or Seasonic X-400, probably dont need the 560W but both are at the same price.

I game a lot but on my desktop, i dont plan to play on the HTPC but on a rare ocasion with friends over i might. This HTPC is going to be mostly used for 1080p playback, probably madVR.

Now where i need opinions is the case, the problem is that i want to use Mugen 3 and the Sparkle GPU, but with both i think it rules out most of the HTPC horizontal cases, although im open for one if you know it will fit a 158mm height cooler. I dont mind it to be a vertical tower so im looking into those atm, i would like it to be as quiet as possible, this is what im looking atm but im open for suggestion,

Antec Mini P180 Case
Like a lot the looks specially black interior, its micro atx but seems big, i would dump both hdds cages for dual frontal fans (spinning at 300rpm), seems wide enough to fit the mugen 3 and has sound dampening on the side panels, easy to access fan filters. Worried a little about the top 200mm fan if its going to be quiet or noticeable on low.

Antec Sonata Series SOLO II
Wasn't planning on considering ATX cases, but seems this case is materialistic and with dual fan on front, seems to have good cooling and very low obstruction for the fans, like the looks although not a big fan of glossy finishes. The fan filters seems semi easy to access as you need to take out the side panel to push the ledges, but after that seems very easy to remove. Not a big fan of top PSU mounted cases, but seems it helps to keep the gpus cool with fans oriented there. Don't like the lack of CM holes, but i guess its not that bad either.

SilverStone FT03B
Micro ATX, like the design, but not sure if it would be a quiet case, i might not be able to use the intake cpu case fan cause of the orientation and the mugen3. Like a lot its a mate finish and the cables stay fully hidden with the design of the PSU. Not sure how would compare on cooling with the other two.

Thanks for taking the time on reading, looking forward to your opinions and im open for other case suggestion.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
How much are you willing to spend. I have a great case in mind but it isn't cheap.

Between the three I would go with the FT03B. My next pick would be the P180.

Thanks for your reply,

How much are you willing to spend. I have a great case in mind but it isn't cheap.
Don't have a limitation on the budget, probably $300 would be tops, but would have to be amazing at that price, i would like to keep it below $200. But you got me curious, let me know your suggestion.

Between the three I would go with the FT03B. My next pick would be the P180.
:( im ruling out the FT03 mostly out of SPCR review 1 n 2. I like more the P180 mini design, just worried about the top fan, if it would be quiet enough for a HT environment, i really would like not to hear the fans on quiet scene.

Im still open to suggestions, even horizontal cases, as a matter of fact i would slightly prefer them for HTPC, but it would have to fit a 158mm height CPU cooler.

Well, there are a few different variables.

The biggest offender is fans of course. Look for a case that uses 120mm fans. They can be throttled back and still move a lot of air. My case has a 120mm on the side and one 80mm at the rear. You want to throttle back all of the fans in the system. It's an HTPC and doesn't need to fans running full blast to watch a Blu Ray. Make sure get some good fans with some good bearings. Usually the fans that come with a case are garbage. Eliminate fans where you can. The most common place is the GPU. Get a PSU with a quite fan as well. Vibration from the fans makes a lot more noise than you would think as well. I like to use rubber isolators to cut down on that.

Also, magnetic HDDs can be pretty noisy. I had to get rid of mine because of how much noise it made. It wasn't so bad except during quite parts of movies and music. I replaced it with a small SSD and stream everything over the network. This will also help to reduce heat and the need for a lot of fans if you don't have any magnetic HDDs in the system.

One of the reasons I really like those cases above are because they eliminate the HSF on the GPU and CPU. The case is used as one big heat sink.

Back