• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Looking for opinions on eVGA

Dijonase

Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2004
Messages
946
I'm just looking for first hand opinions on eVGA. I'm looking at their 6800GT, but I know nothing about the company. I've currently got an x800 Pro and am considering checking out the 6800GT to see what all the fuss is about, and eVGA is the main company I'm looking at, if for no other reason than availability. So, if you have an eVGA card what do you think of it? Or if you have a horror story that I should know about feel free to incliude that as well. Thanks!
 
Dijonase said:
I'm just looking for first hand opinions on eVGA. I'm looking at their 6800GT, but I know nothing about the company. I've currently got an x800 Pro and am considering checking out the 6800GT to see what all the fuss is about, and eVGA is the main company I'm looking at, if for no other reason than availability. So, if you have an eVGA card what do you think of it? Or if you have a horror story that I should know about feel free to incliude that as well. Thanks!

i really wouldn't worry which company you buy from they are all the same really just some are overlocked at stock but does it really matter if you are going to overclock anyway? btw i haven't heard a bad thing about them
 
Me either, I am going to get one myself soon from them. Just be careful about the small circular sticker on the middle of the fan, as it seems to have not been put on properly for most vendors in the 6800GT line, not a big thing, just taking it off to save yourself from having it sucked into the fan and killing the card.
 
eVGA bases their cards on the Nvidia reference design and *correct me if I'm wrong* I believe they actually make the reference cards for Nividia. The early review cards look exactly the same as the eVGA 6800 non-gt/ultra right down to the mermaid on the hsf.
 
I've got an eVGA 5900 non-ultra (stock 400/850) it works fine havent had any problems with it. It looks just like a reference design, HSF etc.

About the STICKER PROBLEM....... The problem was initially most vendors where just selling Nvidia made boards with their own stickers slapped on. Thats why they all looked exactly like the reference boards b/c they were!

But the cards starting to come on to the market now should probably be manufactured in house. I want a nice black PCB videocard to match my mobo, but I dont think Abit is going to make any more Nv boards :( Albatron will have a blue PCB, if I pay $400 for a 6800GT I want it too look fancy too. :)
 
I think it's a common misconception that Nvidia actually manufactures a full working video card...I know in the past they supplied the design and graphics chip to an outside vendor to make a reference card for them. I know it used to be Visiontek (r.i.p) but now I think eVGA does it. Ati still produces their own cards however..
 
OK, just as long as nobody has anything bad to say about eVGA or their customer service. I'm still not completely convinced that the 6800GT outperforms the X800 Pro by enough of a margin to make the switch, but I may grab a 6800GT and give it a try.
 
I'm very pleased with my eVGA GT. She overclocks like a banshee AND she's got the Nalu sticker [YAY!]. Main reason I choose eVGA over everyone else is their Step Up program. I fancy myself getting a 6800UE sometime down the road.
 
Dijonase said:
OK, just as long as nobody has anything bad to say about eVGA or their customer service. I'm still not completely convinced that the 6800GT outperforms the X800 Pro by enough of a margin to make the switch, but I may grab a 6800GT and give it a try.
I don't think your missing TOO much.
 
Dijonase said:
OK, just as long as nobody has anything bad to say about eVGA or their customer service. I'm still not completely convinced that the 6800GT outperforms the X800 Pro by enough of a margin to make the switch, but I may grab a 6800GT and give it a try.


Hard to justify spending another $400 for the GT when you already have a great card, but wait until the Far Cry 1.2 patch, combined with the modded Forceware 61.76 or official 61.77 drivers, and DX9.0c...then you may want to switch. :p


Seriously, I went with the GT because of the extra 4 pipes and the ease of runnning them at Ultra speeds. Funny, but I actually had to bump my CPU voltage a hair to make the card stable at 400/1100, otherwise it would drop back to desktop at even 380/1050. Weird eh?
 
TheRapture said:
Seriously, I went with the GT because of the extra 4 pipes and the ease of runnning them at Ultra speeds.

That's exactly why I'm considering switching, along with all of the next gen features the 6800 series supports. For the record I wouldn't plan on keeping my X800 Pro. I'd sell it of course. I just can't figure if it would be worth making the switch. That's the only real thing stopping me. Is it worth it?
 
joemama said:
I think it's a common misconception that Nvidia actually manufactures a full working video card...I know in the past they supplied the design and graphics chip to an outside vendor to make a reference card for them. I know it used to be Visiontek (r.i.p) but now I think eVGA does it. Ati still produces their own cards however..

Yeah, I knew they dont actually make anything. They assemble some stuff at their facility for testing /reference purposes, etc. But I didnt know who was making their current reference designs. I knew it used to be Visiontek.
 
Is the switch from an X800 Pro to a 6800GT even worth it? I'm considering it, but I just don't know for sure.
 
Dijonase said:
Is the switch from an X800 Pro to a 6800GT even worth it? I'm considering it, but I just don't know for sure.

Nope, not unless you can get full price for your x800 Pro $400+ and get the 6800GT as an even swap or no out of pocket expense. It is faster and will only get faster as Nv improves the drivers. This is a whole new architecture with a lot of headroom, unlike the X800 serious which is just a beefed up 9800 (double the # of pipes)

Both cards kick some serious ass, but the 6800GT should net a bigger gain when overclocked since you're overclocking 16 pipes vs 12 pipes.
 
Here's another endorsement for eVGA. I got their 6800GT last week, and no problems whatsoever with a nice healthy overclock of 425/1150. Also nice to get Far Cry in the package :)

Only complaint is the fan is the loudest thing in my box. I'm hanging out for the Arctic Cooling solution...
 
Back
Top